Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your recommended method to extract a listing of all ItemRevisions for site? prefer cmd line

Hi,

I need to extract a listing of all our ItemRevisions and include handful of properties on the IRs.

What would you recommend as a method to accomplish this? It would be especially helpful if answers briefly summarize advantages/disadvantages to a method.

• query_xml.exe and use a carefully crafted ItemRevision Query?
    • output is only xml, need further postprocessing prior to import to Exce/Access/Other
    • Might be resource intensive if collecting ALL ItemRevisions in one execution
    • Can be scheduled with taskmanager
    • Does not fully load RAC client
    • Seems to REQUIRE specifying a PFF, which may cause results to vary from query results

• Report Builder?
  • Other utility?
  • Solr (if yes, what is a reasonable effort to install and get working)?
  • Write a SOA application?

Thank-you, 

Andrew Amsden
NX 10.0.3.5 MP4 TC 10.1.5.1 x64 CMM10.0.2 Tcii/I-deas6.5, Java7u79x64, MSSQL 2014
12 REPLIES

Re: What is your recommended method to extract a listing of all ItemRevisions for site? prefer cmd l

Phenom
Phenom

Hello, query_xml.exe I did not use, but if it solves your problem (exports the data you need), I think it is quite possible to use it

Of utilities, what else you can see, this is tcxml_export, should work fairly quickly, but it will output information in its format, which will need to be processed. It also requires studying for your needs, maybe it will not suit you.

If you write your utility, I recommend writing an executable exe file on ITK, it will work quickly, because it's C code and it is executed on the server and you will be able to output information in almost any form you need
and the data format: txt, xml, json, csv or in another (for some formats you will have to use additional C libraries). You can also easily run it from cmd with the parameters you need

Re: What is your recommended method to extract a listing of all ItemRevisions for site? prefer cmd l

Thank you
We do not have ITK capabilities in house at this time, but worth adding to the list of options.
I do not know the advantages nor disadvantages of tcxml_export when compared with query_xml.exe.
Andrew
Andrew Amsden
NX 10.0.3.5 MP4 TC 10.1.5.1 x64 CMM10.0.2 Tcii/I-deas6.5, Java7u79x64, MSSQL 2014

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Something you might not be aware of unless you manage multiple sites is the Multisite Administration (MSA) toolkit downloadable from GTAC (not included ootb). See MsaExtract.pl and tc_extract_msa -report_type=item_revs. Another useful capability with this kit is creating, appending, clearing or listing Folder contents in Teamcenter from the command line. You can use a text input file to populate. This is the only utility I know of that can help manage folders. Good to have in your quiver.

Siemens PLM Download Server > Teamcenter > Product updates > Tools > Tc10.1_MultiSiteAssist_3.5.3_win64.zip

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Thanks Randy,

It does not appear to me from the MSA guide that is it possible to include other attributes such as Last Modifying User, Release Status or other attributes. Is this correct?

If this is correct then this would only enable me to extract a list of all ItemRevisions, but not the associated attribute data.

Andrew

Andrew Amsden

MSA does not list attributes. However, it does list all Item Revisions which can be added to a folder and if the Details view includes the columns you are looking for then can be extracted to Excel.

To get the exact content you are looking for, and as a command line tool, then you will need to write a program as @Author3 has already suggested but you didn't like that answer so I suggested a convoluted work-around.

Let us know the solution you land on.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

What are you trying to do with the data after you extract it?

Jamie

Randy,

I had not thought of that, however using the Details pane is precisely how we are accomplishing the task today in the UI (query, details, export to .csv)

Regarding not liking ITK, we do not have the option to dislike it for this solution, as mentioned before we do not have in-house capability to develop ITK solutions. It may be an very fine option for others.

I like the capability of being able to extract a list of IRs and then populate them to a folder from the command line, could be very useful for a project. Will keep it in mind.

Thank you for your responses,

Andrew Amsden

Post extraction processing would be "unlimited".

Instead of battling with the archaic, legacy iman query tool, we could use modern methods to sift and sort our data.

Also performance, once a day extraction to a flat file would eliminate Teamcenter UI performance limitations.

So on this thread, the goal was to extract all ItemRevisions, along with a selected set of attributes useful for post processing to build a  data warehouse("dba maturity level 0";-) from Teamcenter.

No one has yet mentioned a SQL query run from a batch script, I suppose it is feasible if one has enough knowledge of the TC schema and data model and access to the DB cmd line (MSSQL in our case)

Not a trained DBA, but we did buy this as "Engineering Software" ;-) ,

Andrew Amsden

You might want to investigate TcRA (Teamcenter Reporting and Analytics) which is designed for this specific usage in mind.