Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where TC related variables are defined?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I know that Teamcenter reads variables starting with "$" differently, but I don't recollect how or from where Teamcenter reads them. For example, in fcc.xml, the FCC_CacheLocation is by default $HOME\FCCCache. In Windows, $HOME maps to the USERPROFILE directory. How or where is $HOME defined or mapped? I want to understand that for a requirement we have.

4 REPLIES

Re: Where TC related variables are defined?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
$HOME (user.home) and $USER (user.name) listed in FCC are related to Java system properties. You can find a list of system properties that Java uses here: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/environment/sysprop.html

You can redirect the location for these in portal.bat or otwportal.bat by passing them as arguments to the Teamcenter (java) startup...

set CFG_OPTS=
set CFG_OPTS=%CFG_OPTS% -user C:\Siemens\TCPD\%USERNAME%
set CFG_OPTS=%CFG_OPTS% -data C:\Siemens\TCPD\%USERNAME%
set CFG_OPTS=%CFG_OPTS% -configuration C:\Siemens\TCPD\%USERNAME%

@echo Starting Teamcenter Rich Client...
start Teamcenter.exe %* %CFG_OPTS% -vm ...

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Randy. How or where is this mapping defined  between $HOME to user.home in WINDOWS? How can i use similar custom variables in windows with $? Can i use them? Simialrly whata are the other OOTB keyword variables simialar to $HOME that I can use. This is what is not clear to me

Regards,

RS

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Windows doesn't use $, java does. In windows batch scripting, a variable is used by enclosing it in % (e.g. %USERNAME%) and you can see all of the variables currently defined by typing "set" (without the quotes) in a command window. Java is a programming language designed to work on any platform (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.) and uses $ to indicate a variable. If you want to take up programming and learn another language (or two) then java is as good as any to get started with. A good place to start is Woz-U
https://woz-u.com/curriculum-software-development/

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Randy