Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow to Convert Powerpoint to PDF after Release

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Guys,

I have created a workflow which attahes the ppt to the item revision which is then reviewed and released. What i am not able to do is convert the Ppt to PDF. I have added a Do task after the Release task with an action handler TCRS-Create-Translation-Request added to its Start. But it isnt working. The ppt gets released as intended but the conversion doesnt work.

I have also tried placing the PDF change handler in the begining when datasets are attached to the Item revision. Can someone help me out on this?

Capture.PNG

15 REPLIES

Betreff: Workflow to Convert Powerpoint to PDF after Release

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

A view questions:

- Do you install the TC Rapid Start environment?

- Do you install and configured the Dispatcher environment?

- Which TC Version we are talking about?

The TCRS-Create-Translation-Request Handler creates a Dispatcher request in the dispatcher queue. Once the msofficetopdf or similar module has been configured the native office files are converted to PDF.

BTW:

Do not connect two path directions on other than OR-Tasks. You have to connect the reject path to the Do-Task and then back to an additional OR-Task.

Michael
Teamcenter UA | NX CAD

Solution Partner Legend

An example to route the reject path:

wkfl.png

Michael
Teamcenter UA | NX CAD

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the answer. Is TCRS like an application that is to be installed on the TC server or is it an client application?How do i install it?

Solution Partner Legend

TCRS = Teamcenter Rapid Start = preconfigured PDM deployment

Michael
Teamcenter UA | NX CAD

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi 

I have installed the Dispatcher Rich Client and added the relevant Access Rules. But when i try to convert PPT to PDF, the function terminates. 

Any suggestions?Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
There are a couple of things to check @Michael_

One is that file extensions are shown in File Explorer:
Due to “Hide extensions for known file types" was enabled (checked) under "Folder Option -> view". This will only happen with pptx dataset types, rest other dataset types will work fine. PPTX has some special processing in runner code and currently it requires file name with extension in PPTX windows text. If above mentioned folder Option is enabled then runner does not get pptx filename with extension which it requires for further handling and in that case code is not able to handle it and crashes. Uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types" and test the use case. Will be resolved by code changes in Tc10.1.6 and Tc11.2.2.

The other point is that you have to install the TcVis (VVCP) "previewservice" translator to convert PPT(X) to PDF. See DISP_ROOT\Module\conf\translator.xml and search for "PreviewService". The options and file extensions (input/output) are specified there.

The biggest issue with Dispatcher is usually declaring the stage directory. Services (Dispatcher Client) like the UNC path format but scripts (Dispatcher Module/Translators) like a mapped drive. In Windows, a service cannot see a mapped drive (security restriction).

So there are at least three different things listed above to check and only by reviewing the logs will you determine what the issue really is.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the suggestion @RandyEllsworth, the change in the services file made it work.

I have just one problem, I initaite the workflow process from the powerpoint through a Teamcenter Add On, so i cant use the TSTK-CreateTranslationRequest handler since it works only on the Item Revision. Is there a way to make the translation work work when I initiate the workflow from Powerpoint? 

I have no idea. That's not a process I've seen before.

Have you already reviewed the command line option?
dispatcher_create_rqst -u=dcproxy -p=dcproxy -g=dba
-pr=1 -dt=UGMASTER -tn=nxtopvdirect -pn=SIEMENS -i=ACME000001 -r=A -dn=ACME000001_A

You would have to use EPM-run-external-command on the Perform action of the root task to run the command line from workflow. I don't know how you would submit multiple PPTX datasets for translation using this method.

Can you describe your process in more detail?