Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automated import of STEP into Teamcenter

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Teamcenter 11.6  NX1867

This question was posed to me this morning, and I'm sure it can be done, I'm just not sure how to catagorize, or much else. I clearly can't record a macro within NX.

Basically, we have a group that is going to output STEP files from a piece of software that is not managed by Teamcenter. Then they would like those files to be copied into Teamcenter. They would be created in a single directory, so the script would monitor that, see a new file, and copy it. Maybe delete it, once copied. I do not know if they want to put all the files in a single folder within Teamcenter, or under items/item revisions that match the name...this is a very early on discussion.

So any insight, on what I can tell them, regarding the type of resource, or direction they will need to go, to accomplish this? 

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10
2 REPLIES 2

Re: automated import of STEP into Teamcenter

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Good afternoon, I think you can use the import_file utility

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.6/help/#uid:v1_import_file

You can also search the Teamcenter section for the name of this utility, you should find good topics.

Re: automated import of STEP into Teamcenter

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Creating a Dispatcher Translator is likely the supported method for accomplishing this task. As long as the third party software puts the converted file back into the same directory then Dispatcher should pick it up and import into Tc.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4