Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

better way to maintain - Workflow template for each site

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Experts,

What is the best way to maintain version of same template for each group.

In our current set up, we are maintaining 4 versions of (logically) same workflow template for each group.

As for each group we need reviewers from that group only.

for ex. 

org structure

Group1

RoleA

RoleB

Group2

RoleA

RoleB

Group3

RoleA

RoleB

Group4

RoleA

RoleB

Now we have 4 different version of same workflow template as review tasks should have reviewers from Group(1/2/3/4) - based on owning group.

I am exploring assignment list to keep these 4 version easier for future updates but facing some challenges as some review tasks require say 2 reviewers from Group*/RoleA which I am not able to provide in Assignment list.

Could you please share some better way to manage such workflow templates 

4 REPLIES

Re: better way to maintain - Workflow template for each site

Phenom
Phenom

What I have done recently is to have 1 workflow and to query the role of the user submitting and branch the workflow to an Approval task specific to that role.

To do this I have multiple Validation tasks.  The 1st validation task has:

EPM-check-action-performer-role

-responsible=Engineering::Author

If this is true, it goes to to Engineering Approval task.  If its false, it goes to the next validation:

EPM-check-action-performer-role

-responsible=Assembly::Author

.....and so on.

So, I now only have 1 template workflow for all groups, and only have to put bits unique to that role in role unique area of the workflow.role check.JPG

Richard

www.prospectplm.co.uk

Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk
Highlighted

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing your views and a way to maintain group specific templates.

In my case, based on owning group reviewers will change (should be from same owning group, and this is the only change for each group specific template - no other logic change)

If I consider your approach, having multiple validation tasks and separate branch for each review task will make the template cumbersome..had it been just for 1-2 task it sounds feasible.. but for each review task (there are atleast 7-8 review tasks in our templates.)

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

If you can organise your reviewers in the different groups into a specific role then EPM-auto-assign will let you specify the resource pool as either the current users login group, or the owning group of a target.

This is an excerpt from the Workflow Designer Guide docs on EPM-auto-assign.

000158.jpg

If you can use this then you should be able to have a single workflow that adapts based upon the user or targets submitted.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Jonathan for your suggestion.

Yes reviewers are organized in different groups and EPM-auto-assign works well to assign responsible parties. however for reviewers where we have signoff profiles quorum like 2 reviewers from GroupA.Role1 can not be achieved.

Untitled.pngsignoff profile quorum

I am exploring assignment list + custom handler to pick and assign assignment list based on owning group