Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delete or abort a workflow

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi all,

I just want to ask what is the right process to delete a workflow. Sometimes the users did something wrong, so they delete the workflow process in their task to perform or impact analysis directly. Then corrupted workflow appeared, lots of efforts to delete. 

Is it right to first abort the workflow, then delete it in the impact analysis. I am assuming less corrupted workflow by doing this, is it true? 

The business rule here is only one WF process should be referenced by revision.

Thanks for your reply

5 REPLIES

Re: delete or abort a workflow

Jamie_Griffis 1st Gear
1st Gear

My preference is to block all users by DBA to delete workflows. Make them abort, then an admin would need to clean it out. Only one WF process ever on your revisions? I usually only allow one ACTIVE workflow at a time but I've not had a need to restrict to only one WF process ever.

Jamie

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks Jamie. That makes sense. Force them to abort to avoid corrupt workflow. Then they will ask admin to clean out.

About the business rule, I can't judge. One revision can't have one more same workflow.Because we never abort, we delete. And my job is to clean those failed corrupt WF, make sure rev is only referenced by one active WF if any.

Can you please tell me how can I block users from delete workflows? Much appreciate

Jamie_Griffis 1st Gear
1st Gear

You need to modify your ACL's. Find "Has Class (EPMJob)" and deny access to everyone besides your DBA or Admin group. I suggest doing this in a test environment to get it working correctly before doing it in your Production environment.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks again Jamie. I may suggest it.Second thought is lots of work for the admin...

Jamie_Griffis 1st Gear
1st Gear

It is a lot of admin work. Maybe another idea is to allow only one active workflow at a time but allow more than one completed workflow on the item rev? I suggest adding the date/time stamp to the workflow names as well, so when you see more than one, you know when it was created without having to go into each one and view the properties.