Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

repair lost connection to TC

howdyall,

Currently some of our machines (mine included) will lose their connection to TC in a relatively short amount of time.  (going to lunch). Log files don't say much. Users may have an NX manager session open and lose data.  While there are round-about ways of saving the data, I'm wondering if there's a way to repair the connection/session.  Any ideas?

Jason Minahan

[X] Cadmin

TC 10.1.4

NX 8.5 

4 REPLIES

Re: repair lost connection to TC

I assume you're using a 4tier rich client installed through TEM or Over-The-Web (OTW).

The most likely culprit may be as close as your system administrator. It was common to run "clearlocks -verbose" in past versions to clean up dead sessions (and release locked objects). However, running clearlocks in a 4tier environment will kill valid sessions that have simply timed out. When a user clicks in a timed out session it will reconnect to a new tcserver but if the session has been removed in the database then it cannot and the session data is lost. Granted there are some steps that can be taken to preserve data before closing the client (like saving NX files to native). Stop running clearlocks unless you know users won't be effected.

Other possible causes include a bad network cable, a bad port on a switch, a bad switch, etc. Much harder to diagnose.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

sorry, no. 2 tier still (TEM installed).  I did see the thread on that.

We will likely upgrade at some point soon (above my paygrade).

I'm the TC admin, but not the server guy, so I'll have to ask him.

Will it hurt to turn off clearlocks in 2 Tier?

J

I would continue to use it in 2tier since the session is running on the client. Now you have to go down the hardware route. Ouch.

But other sessions, like the web client or nx manager would suffer. Better to avoid clearlocks and start using list_users instead. Tip: you'll need to trace the connection from the client to the web server.