Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

silent distribution or clone?!

Builder
Builder

Hello;

I'm searching for a good alternative to OTW as I was notified that it is discontinued in TC12.

I have 2 question here:

1. I tried to install client from resources on a shared local network, but when I run tem.bat it says UNC path are not supported, therefore making a silent distribution needs resources to be copied to local drive on each client  and it takes a lot of time, therefore I think there might be a detour for it?

2. any experience around cloning the client? I think it might be a good way to install clients, if possible technically.

BR.

3 REPLIES

Re: silent distribution or clone?!

Legend
Legend

Hi

If you use batch script you can mapp a folder drive in the script and then remove it in the end.

Map drive Z to a media repository that has an unc path:

set MEDIA_REPOSITORY=\\[your server]\[your share]

NET USE Z: %MEDIA_REPOSITORY%

And in end of script 

NET USE Z: /DELETE /YES

Similar mapping can be used in vb script if you prefer that.

Cloning the environment on a client works but I have skipped it as we use urls to items and when using clone it will not launch the "launchapp" which is stored in registry.

My thoughts were to save install time for the clients and for that use the "clone" through a zip extract.

There may be a regedit to can fix this issue but I decided to go back to normal install for the clients as there may be other stuff failing as well. 

I use a tem install with varaible -s and a configuration file to get the install silent.

Then I have steps were I copy some client configuration files and maybe other modification I perform after the install is made.

Jörgen Mähler, PLM Lead Hydro
TC11.5 | TcIC11.5 | Swim 11.4 | Supplier Collaboration
NX 11,12 | Catia V5 | Solidworks 2018 | AutoCad2018

Builder
Builder

hello;

Jormah thanks so much.

I have made a batch file and I will add the commands you have suggested. I must modify the "sourseDir value" in the silent.xml file also to point to the Z: drive, true?

BR.

Legend
Legend

Hi

Yes correct, the configuration you need to edit so it matches this mapped drive.

Jörgen Mähler, PLM Lead Hydro
TC11.5 | TcIC11.5 | Swim 11.4 | Supplier Collaboration
NX 11,12 | Catia V5 | Solidworks 2018 | AutoCad2018