cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when should i use 2t vs 4t

Experimenter
Experimenter

Can someone explain to me the differences between Teamcenter 2T and 4T? When should I use each of these ?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of these?

Looking for info on which is most stable, which is fastest, which is better to use when running wireless or hardwired or on a VPN connection.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES

Re: when should i use 2t vs 4t

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

2tier bypasses the pool manager and web tier so it is useful when those are broke or not started. Usually only installed on the server. Some small shops use 2t rich clients however they MUST be physically close to the database server. 2t is highly latency sensitive which is why 4tier was introduced.

4tier out performs 2tier with latencies as low as 4ms and is supported up to 220ms. I've had good performance up to 250ms. I've seen it work with latencies as high as 350ms (Mongolia) however the performance was truely abmissmal. Use 4tier wherever possible and 2tier only where it makes sense (special use cases only).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Another advantage of 4T is that your server side customizations only have to reside in one place; on the 4T server where for 2T you'd have to copy them around every time a change is made.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Legend
Legend

2-Tier is also useful in diagnosing Teamcenter issues, especially if you have custom code. It's much easier to change DLL and debug in 2-T than on 4-T.

I always recommend my clients to have at least one 2-T machine setup even if they have all 4-T clients.

---

Thanks and Regards

Yogesh Fegade

Randy,

Questions regarding 4T deployment with 250ms latency 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the CAD system used ?

How many concurrent users ?

How big are the assemblies ( Small, Medium, large ) ?

What is the bandwidth ?

With local FSC and Volumes or wihout ?

Following is our situation ( Can we deploy 4T using NX11 and TC11 if yes what tools to use for load testing ) :

Latency : 208ms

bandwidth : 45 mbps

CAD system : NX

local FSC : yes

local volumes :yes

number of users : 150 - 170 ( concurrent ) 

Teamcenter : TC11

Assemblies : Medium , Large

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
For 250ms you cannot use 2tier and must use 4tier. You'll want to set up Store and Forward to give the remote users a local place to write files (and release their rich clients) instead of waiting for the files to write all the way back to the main volumes. With 150-170 concurrent users you'll probably want more than one (remote) FSC service serving the Store and Forward volume.

A local volume is discouraged unless there is little sharing with other locations. Even simple things like a Bolt can start to create a spaghetti assembly where parts are all over the world instead of centralized which will affect your load times. Stick to S&F vs local volume wherever possible.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2