Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding PDF to existing to an part.

Genius
Genius

Hi Guys.

I am in the process of tidying our files in TC. (long process).

As you can see below I started with REV 'B' which is without a PDF and is released.

I then created REV 'C' with added text to the draft which didn't have a PDF.  I had a copy outside TC so I did a drag & drop, filled out the relevant information and added the PDF file.

I checked the file a day later and an extra PDF & DFT appeared.  1 set is attached to REV 'B' and the correct REV 'C' was without the added text.

Capture.JPG

Why is this?

Kind regards

Darren.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Adding PDF to existing to an part.

Phenom
Phenom

I would select revision C and open the Details view. Show the relation, creation date and modified date properties.  Maybe this help identify the reason.

Richard

Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

In your screenshot, I don't see how one set is attached to Rev B. Can you show the where referenced on these please? These are SE files, do you have it turned on to automatically created PDF's of the drafts on save? I don't know that we have enough info yet to try to figure out why that could have happened.

Jamie

Jamie Griffis | Teamcenter Architect | Applied CAx, LLC

Genius
Genius

Hi Jamie.

I have since deleted the files.

I only know they are linked by the file name & item ID to Rev 'B' because when I search in SE.

It does create PDF file automatically, can this be easily turned off.  Is it good practice to have this turned off?

Darren

Gears Phenom

Next time, we should get more screenshots and such before you delete it so we can try it figure out what happened.

Yes, you can turn it off. I've always kept it turned on. The PDF should replace itself on each Upload/Check-in. And when it is work in process, we didn't allow non-engineering staff to see that revision so it was not at risk of getting sent out to vendors, etc. Non-engineering staff could only see it once it is released. Also, the PDF should be the same as the Draft. Creating it later is an additional step that most engineering departments didn't want as a burden. 

Jamie

Genius
Genius

Hi Jamie.

Thanks for the info.  Will do on pictures.

Also you mention that non-engineering staff can only see PDFs that are released.  Can they see all revisions of a released part or are you set up so they only see the latest revision.

Darren.

Gears Phenom

I set it up so it was only the latest released. I did this by status. All previously released revisions would get a different status upon release of the latest revision during the workflow. Because they have different status, I could restrict access by status per dataset type or item revision per group. Does that make sense?

Example:

Rev A - Superceeded Released 

Rev B - Superceeded Released  

Rev C - Production Released (This is where non-engineering would see only PDF's)

Rev D - (no status - wip)

Jamie

Genius
Genius

Hi Jamie.

I assume to set up a superceeded release, it would rquire creating through BMide?

As Admin we only have:

Process

Quick Release (non-admin users)

Release-UK-bottom-up Engineering Production

Release bottom-up

Release top-down

Requirement signoff

Review process

Remove status

Darren

Gears Phenom

If you need a new status, yes, you'll need to add it to BMIDE and deploy it. In your existing workflows, you can then use the OOTB handler to change the status of the previously released revisions to that new status. You don't need a new workflow to do that specifically. I don't have TC in front of me today to get that info right now. I can get it tomorrow if someone else doesn't respond with it.

Jamie

Genius
Genius

Hi Jamie.

Thanks for all this info.

It is something I will recommend as we are wanting our non-engineering departments to start using TC.

Darren.