Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning multiple variations of same part in Teamcenter

Experimenter
Experimenter

Say I have an mold tool assembly already loaded into Teamcenter and this assembly contains small variations in the mold shape, lets call it an AD version and a Non-AD version, depending on what our customer wants the part to look like on any given day. In NX we have a couple of component parts we swap out that are handled by reference sets or suppression. In Teamcenter we want to be able to have both variations available to our tooling engineer, but we do not want him to think about reference sets or suppressing and un-suppressing. Through Teamcenter integration can I do a "Save As Alternate Representation", one being setup as the "AD" version and the other setup as the "Non-AD" version to accomplish that. I am a bit new at Teamcenter, so could you explain the best process for this.

Thanks, MC

4 REPLIES

Re: Assigning multiple variations of same part in Teamcenter

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

There are several methods to achieve your result. One is using options and variants in structure manager to configure the BOM then send to NX. Options and Variants are an additional cost for Structure Manager in TC so some people opt for another, more creative, method.

Suppressing components doesn't hide them from the BOM in TC without specifically telling the NX component not to sync. Keeping the Tc BOM in sync with the parts list will be especially challenging when swapping components out using your current method.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Highlighted

Experimenter
Experimenter

Not so concerned about the BOM. It should show all. More concerned about the visual and what the assembly tree shows so our tooling engineer sees what he suppose to see. These are, for the most part, small variations for this part when it's molded. The area that changes is inserted and like I mentioned when they mold one version certain inserts will be in place and if the other version that respective insert in it's place. They also want me to give the top assembly a unique name for one version or the other so I thought "save as representaion" would accomplish that. The option our administrator wants me to take is to (outside of Teamcenter) copy all files from the "AD" version into a new folder called "Non-AD", turn on the correct components for that version and they will load each individually into Teamcenter.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Follow your administrators advice. Another approach is to perform a Save-As on the top level and then remove the offending components from each.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

Like Randy mentioned using Options and Variants is the best method to configure and view AD and Non-AD versions, Alternate Representations can be used but mainly designed for As-Installed shapes. 

Another solution is using NX Arrangements, Assemblies--> Arrangements lets you define arrangements for AD and Non-AD versions, these arrangements are available in Teamcenter Structure manager, need to add the column "Active Arrangements", your tooling engineer can view AD and Non-AD versions in structure manager by changing the Arrangements value. 

You can also create different views with different arrangements on your 2D drawing file.

Thanks