Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Attribute mapping to ItemRevision

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm trying to set up attribute mapping for the first time in a new site installation of NX12/Teamcenter11.2. I have some attributes I'd like to add via the NX part file both to populate an NX BOM on the face of the drawing and also manipulate via Structure Manager columns if needed. I've generated the attribute map I believe I need, but I'm having a few issues:

1. The custom attributes are still starting out as read/write from within NX on part creating, but convert to read-only on initial saving; I'd like them to remain read/write in NX.
  2. Now I’d like to expose these attributes to the Teamcenter Structure Manager, so they can be updated from there if needed. I've added corresponding Properties to all of my mapped attributes in BMIDE, but I don't see those properties available to add in the Structure Manager yet...anyone know what I'm missing?

I've attached a screenshot showing my mapped attributes...My intent in the ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision) syntax was to get these attributes from the UGMaster in NX and store them directly in the ItemRev, rather than going into the ItemRev Master form as I've seen done in a few examples. It seems to be working in NX, with the exception of the two problems noted above....Any ideas?

10 REPLIES

Re: Attribute mapping to ItemRevision

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Umm, is NX12 supported in Tc11.2? I think you need to be at Tc11.4?

Then you need to decide where the attrs/prefs will be modified. If only NX then you've set /master=CAD correctly but if intend to modify the props in SM then you'll need /master=BOTH.

I take it that you've already tried to add the columns in SM and they are not available?

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks for your reply Randy; I believe I'm running TC 11.2.3, but will confirm in the morning once I'm back in front of the software.

Regarding setting the /master=both, I do have that specified on a couple attributes I want manipulateable from the Structure Manager and NX (see screen grab on original post). A few attributes like weight and cut dims I have set to /master=cad to require the user to be in the model when updating, but some items that aren't model driven (like CAGE code) are set to /master=both.

I haven't tested Structure Manager behavior yet, because I haven't been able to figure out how to expose the atttibutes to the SM...I'd thought that after the attributes were created in the BMIDE project and deployed, they would be visible to add by right clicking in the SM and adding via the column dialog. Am I missing a step?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Update - Randy, you were right on the Teamcenter build. I am on Teamcenter 11.4 after all. When we were initially getting set up, there was some debate with the VAR we're using on whether we needed to run 11.2 or 11.4. Obviously we landed on 11.4.

Exact NX build is 12.0.1.7.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @jchurch,

Try setting your attribute mapping as follows:

"CUT_LENGTH" : ItemRevision.l3_CUT_LENGTH /master=cad /description="Cut Length"
"CUT_WIDTH" : ItemRevision.l3_CUT_WIDTH /master=cad /description="Cut Width"
"ITEM_WT" : ItemRevision.l3_ITEM_WT /master=cad /description="Item Weight"

Regarding your second question, here's the corresponding Teamcenter documentation:  Add custom properties to BOM columns

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey @BenBroad,

I believe that documentation on BOM columns was exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Currently waiting on my IT guy to deploy my updated BMIDE template to verify, but I'm pretty sure that's what I was after.

On the attribute mapping file, I actually tried this syntax last week without luck... 

"CUT_LENGTH" : ItemRevision.l3_CUT_LENGTH /master=cad /description="Cut Length"
"CUT_WIDTH" : ItemRevision.l3_CUT_WIDTH /master=cad /description="Cut Width"
"ITEM_WT" : ItemRevision.l3_ITEM_WT /master=cad /description="Item Weight"

The only big difference I noticed vs. the "CUT_LENGTH" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision)...syntax was that the attribute no longer got attached to the Item Revision category in the attributes list. Using suggested syntax results in <No Category> as show in the attached screenshot.

I wasn't sure if that would result in the property being visible or not to the Structure Manager, but seemed further from the mark vs. the ItemRevision.GRM....approach.

I've attached a before/after save screenshot of the attribute list from a new part file created using your suggested mapping syntax that hopefully will help clarify.

So far no mapping I've tried has produced attributes that remained read/write from within NX after the first save, and I'd really like to get that functionality. I could probably have our users manipulate these attributes from the Structure Manager, but it seems really non-ideal to force them to jump back and forth from NX to the Structure Manager to input data they'll be getting out of the NX model.

I also noticed another issue with my original mapping syntax, while testing yours...the attributes I'd set to /master=both didn't retain my inputs after saving the part in NX; only those with /master=cad.

For instance, "CAGE_CODE" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision).l3_CAGE_Code /master=both /description="CAGE Code" created an attribute called CAGE Code on the NX file that allowed me to input a value.

However, after saving the part, the value that I'd input disappeared and became write-protected from NX. I seem to be getting farther from the mark with each attempt...

Did you define these under UGPART in the attribute mapping definitions?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I did not; I thought the "...GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision)..." syntax was what linked the UGMASTER/UGPART to the Item Revision in Teamcenter. Another company I've worked with in the past managed to accomplish something similar along these lines, but they may have been set up differently than the environment I'm trying to configure.

Is something like this what you're suggesting? I've seen similar examples in the documentation, but didn't know if it would work with this with this many attributes...

{ Dataset type="UGMASTER"
    "DB_PART_NAME" : Item.object_name /write_once /description="Part Name"
    "DB_PART_DESC" : Item.object_desc /write_once /description="Part Description"

"CAGE_CODE" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision).l3_CAGE_Code /master=both /description="CAGE Code"

"CUT_LENGTH" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision).l3_CUT_LENGTH /master=cad /description="Cut Length"

"CUT_WIDTH" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision).l3_CUT_WIDTH /master=cad /description="Cut Width"

"ITEM_WT" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision).l3_ITEM_WT /master=cad /description="Item Weight"

"FINISH_SPEC" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision).l3_FINISH_SPEC /master=both /description="Finish Spec"

"FINISH" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision).l3_FINISH /master=both /description="Finish"
}

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
NX is unique in that it can contain both the model and drawing or be separate. However, there can be only one UGMASTER dataset under an Item Revision whereas there can be multiple UGPART/UGALTREP datasets. This can lead to differing configurations such as:
1. IR 00001, UGMASTER (contains both model and drawing).
2. IR 00001, UGMASTER (model), UGPART (drawing).
3. IR 00001, UGMASTER (model); IR 00002, UGMASTER (drawing w/model assembled in).
Other UGPART datasets could containing manufacturing data, etc. So depending how your company is using NX should also be reflected in the attr mapping (UGMASTER, UGPART and UGALTREP).

When @BenBroad asked about UGPART it triggered a memory about UGPART attr's being read-only. See non-master ref in:
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.1/nx_help#uid:index_tcint:id1299760:id1299788:m...
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.1/nx_help#uid:index_tcint:id1299760:id1299788:m...
It doesn't explain your whole situation though so I'm also looking for a customer default setting that could cause this behavior.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

You're defining your mappings using long-hand notation, which I believe is unnecessary (and I couldn't get it to work earlier using your mappings).  The short-hand notation worked for me (and it's a lot simpler):

Long-hand:

"CAGE_CODE" : ItemRevision.GRM(IMAN_specification, ItemRevision).l3_CAGE_Code /master=both /description="CAGE Code"

Short-hand

"CAGE_CODE" : ItemRevision.l3_CAGE_Code /master=both /description="CAGE Code"

@RandyEllsworth is correct.  NX will only read attributes defined under UGPART in the attribute mappings.

Part & Database Attribute Synchronization

Regards, Ben