Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Autonomy: Keyword search

I installed Fulltext search with the help of the Environment Manager and I still cannot search for keywords in various PDFs. For some reason only one PDF is showing, but when I try to search for other keywords from other PDFs they dont show anything.

I tried to restart the 3 Services (DISH, IDOL, FSF) and it didnt help.

The Autonomy logs don't show anything not normal.

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES

Re: Autonomy: Keyword search

Check that you have the object types included in TC_fts_indexed_types. If you have an object your not sure about then select it and choose Tools > Check Index Status. There are three possible values: Updated (index is current), Not Updated (not indexed), Type Not Supported (type is not added to the pref). So make sure ".pdf" is added. Also check TC_fts_supported_files to ensure "PDF" is added. Then set TC_fts_real_time_indexing=True.

Run this command once: ( you can get the complete syntax on the help)
build_fts_index -f=update
Go to command prompt and type build_fts_index -h for more details

Search for the keyword , it should list the PDF files.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Thank you Randy,

Im using the build_fts_index -f=update and its indexing 1500 datasets! I will let you know if it will work.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Are PDFs not searchable even after the indexes are rebuilt with 'build FTS index' utility?

Is the charset different for the unsearchable PDFs (compared to the ones searchable)?

Are all of those unsearchable PDFs from the same source?

Harish

It didn't work for all PDFs.

[ Edited ]

@harish

Are PDFs not searchable even after the indexes are rebuilt with 'build FTS index' utility?

They are still not searchable.

Is the charset different for the unsearchable PDFs (compared to the ones searchable)?

Not at all.

Are all of those unsearchable PDFs from the same source?

Well they are different... Some of them are katalogs. I tried to search for a word inside the PDF and it worked normally.

Thanks for clarifying.

I have few more debugging suggestions:

• Does FSF service logs give out any information (error codes etc)?
  • I hope your microsoft application event viewer/logs on the FTS servers have no error codes for autonomy components (IDOL, DISH, FSF) ?!
  • I guess you've deleted the IDOL uid , license sub-directories before building the indexes?!

If its okay for you, can  you share the TC version, autonomy installation details?

Regards

Harish

Keep in mind that just because a PDF exists doesn't mean that it's searchable.  The PDF must be generated in such a manner that the text of the source document is mapped/drawn as text in the PDF.

One obvious example is when using NX to create PDFs where depending on the setting, the resulting PDF may only contain polylines that look like text but aren't.  This is our limitation here.  Due to problems and limitations with NX text mapping to CGM format and then onto PDF, we've had to enable the "polyline" option instead of "text" for text export from NX.  The result is that although the PDF looks as if text is there, the text is only pictorial and therefore the FTS doesn't see anything to index in them.  However, our PDFs generated from Solidworks to Teamcenter do have text embedded in them and are indexed by FTS.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Sir I have installed full text search and i got these services FSF and IDOL but not DISH service

how to get this service??

I have the same in my Tc11.2.3 installation. Dish service is not installed anymore.

FTS.png

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2