Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMIDE Hot Deploy

Experimenter
Experimenter

When is a "Hot Deploy" OK?

Seems like the reccomendation from GTAC is to always perform a TEM deploy (a.k.a cold deploy.)

5 REPLIES

Re: BMIDE Hot Deploy

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Only after backing up everything. If a hot deploy goes bad, and they do, you can lock out Teamcenter so badly that all you can do is roll back. Getting a complete backup before a hot deploy can be challenging since everything is live. Essentially, if you want to avoid the loss of data and considerable downtime fixing a bad hot deploy, use cold deploy only. I advise all my customers to never use hot deploy, it's too risky and too small a gain for what can potentially go wrong.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We only use hot deploy for updating our classic LOVs.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I converted all of my classic LOVs to batch LOVs and update then on the command line using bmide_manage_batch_lovs then run generate_client_meta_cache after updating. Updating LOVs doesn't require a system downtime anymore and I don't incur the risk of a hot deployment failure.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the response.

Randy's words of wisdom:

"If a hot deploy goes bad, and they do".

Made me laugh out loud as I have "been there and done that" and faced the consequences. Trust me, they do. 

I personally use hot deploy during development and try to keep the items to a minimum.Never ever hot deploy in a production instance.Even in a development environment, have a backup ready.