Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM with mixed revision rules

Genius
Genius

Hello,

is it possible to create a revision rule that applies for a certain type of business object only?

The use case is the following:

A BOM consists of mechanical parts and software. The mechanical parts in the BOM must be saved as precise but the software remains imprecise so that it can be uprevisioned multiple times and the BOM will always show the latest released software version without needing to uprevision the BOM each time.

If I'm looking at this wrong and there is another method of getting the same result, I'm happy to hear suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: BOM with mixed revision rules

Genius
Genius

Hi Hajnal, 

Yes it is possible - it would look something like this. You can use the "group" button to have specific lines in the rev rule apply to item types or to occurences. 

2019-07-05 11_13_00-Clipboard.jpg

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
For the Rich Client UI, you normally use a Display Rule Item_rev_display_rule to control visibility...
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/12.1/help/#uid:mytc_set_item_rev_disp_rule
And <item_type>_rev_display_rule for custom Item Revision types.
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/12.1/help/#uid:item_type_rev_display_rule

However, it doesn't affect the BOM which uses a Revision Rule.

Some other ideas which may or may not help your situation:
- Use an IDC (Intermediate Data Capture) to store the structure data at a point in time.
- Use different Status settings for different types and target w/Revision Rule.
- Separate structures using new CAD-Part Alignment (not to be confused w/previous Part Design Alignment).

CAD-Part Alignment
Download the Manufacturing Process Planner PDF from here (too big for post)...
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/12.1/PDF/#search:page=1;rpp=10;query=MPP
Read Chapter 5 for detailed explanation of the process, objects and alignment involved. The really interesting difference is in how the Design Item is hidden under the Part Item by declaring it an end item so that it doesn’t expand in structure manager and mpp.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Genius
Genius

@RandyEllsworth MPP is still just being considered and may take another year until it's implemented here.

@GaryDS's solution may be the way to go for now, I will have to create some new rules and see if I can get the desired results.

Thanks for the help.

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
@hajnal, Can you post a screen shot of your revision rule and the configured BOM after applying the rule? CAD-Part Alignment isn't necessarily for MPP since Multi-Structure Manager and Multi-BOM Manager use it as well. MPP is just where I found the best documentation on the subject. Anyway, to wrap up this thread, I'd love to see your results when applying the revision rule.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Genius
Genius

I just made a very simple test but it looks promising.

The test case is: Comp_1 has 3 revisions but rev 1 must be used, Test1 also has 3 revs, the latest one must be used.

--Results--

Precise rule:

rev_rule_precise.png

Custom rule:

rev_rule_custom.png

It's a good start because non of the other mentioned modules are implemented yet.