Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk loading non-modelled parts

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to bulk load non-modelled parts into TC?

We are about to use Add to Teamcenter to load a full assembly into TC. We also have a spreadsheet that has the same structured but includes non-modelled parts. Is there an easy way to get the latter uploaded at the same time or separately in bulk?

28 REPLIES

Re: Bulk loading non-modelled parts

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
You can use the "import_file" Teamcenter command line utility to bulk import non-CAD files. This will create Datasets and import the file into the Dataset named references. If you need to create Items to hold the Datasets then use the "ps_upload" utility first.

The general procedure for importing non-CAD files in batch mode is as follows:

Step 1: If items do not exist to store the files run the ps_upload utility from a Teamcenter shell to create the items where the new datasets will be stored.

e.g.
ps_upload -u=userid -p=password -g=group -t=Document -i=ps_upload.txt

Where ps_upload.txt is a file containing the items you want to create containing the Item ID & name of the item. Sample contents below.

# item name
1234567, Bolt
1234568, Washer

Step 2: Exectute import_file to import the file to the appropriate dataset type and attach it to the desired item revision.

e.g.
import_file -user=user-id -p=password -g=group -i=my_files.dat

Where my_files.dat is a file that contains information about the files you need to import.

-f=1234567_A.pdf -d=1234567_A -type=PDF -ref=PDF_Reference -item=1234567 -rev=A
-f=1234568_A.pdf -d=1234568_A -type=PDF -ref=PDF_Reference -item=1234568 -rev=A

There are additional arguments for each utility in the on-line documentation that may be useful.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Pioneer
Pioneer

Are ps_upload and import_file still supported in Teamcenter 11.2.2? 

We are attempting to bulk load non-solidedge (tif, PDF, dgn) files into a new Teamcenter instalation. We will need to create new items and then upload the files.

Can we do that with ps_upload and import_file or do we need to use the XML bulk load utilities?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Pioneer
Pioneer

We have tried the bulk load method and are having issues getting started. Actually you emailed me before about how to enable the feature (see attached PDF) and below is a screen shot of what happened when we tried that.

Also, you mentioned in your email that you did a presentation at PLM World on this technique. Can you provde a copy of that and would that help?

I am not a Teamcenter expert so any assistance would be appreciated. 

screen.jpg

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Ah! That email was a surprise. :) I'm not at Mercury any more. I'm at Applied CAx/Sherpa Design now. But let's see if we can get you around this error, because my PLM World presentation doesn't cover that part, just regenerating the llschema file and special use cases. 

Error says "failed to write..." so I believe you have a permissions issue to write to that folder. Check to make sure the user you are logged in as and running the commands with has write permissions to that folder. I think once you resolve that, this command can complete. Then you can move on to installing CSV2TCXML and then generating files for import. 

Jamie Griffis, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC

Agreed. It looks like they are trying to run it directly in TC_DATA (bad) instead of a TEMP like C:\Temp or C:\PLM\Temp (good).

Pioneer
Pioneer

I created a directory C:\PLM\Temp and the utility ran fine. The manual said to verify that file LLTCXML.xsd was created in the TCDATA directory and it was created. It also mentions setting TIE_validate_xml_against_schema preference to true.  Do I need to create and set this environment variable? 

Can you provide a sample command line for installing the CSV2TCXML untility and generating the files for import?

Also, Jamie recommended using the TCXML bulk upload versus the ps_upload/import_file method. What is the advantage of the XML method versus the ps_upload method? 

It depends on the tools you're familiar with. TCXML is fairly new and a lot of us are old school.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Actually TC is new to us so we are not familiar with either method. We don't have a large a amount of data to migrate. Maybe 20,000 files for total of 20 GB (for now anyway). Does that make a difference? 

Also, is the TCXML approach a one step process (i.e. create an item and upload the dataset in step)? The ps_upload/import_file is a two step process, right?