Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Item Ids for multiple Part files

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am trying to write OBSOLETE at the end of a large list of part files, and was wondering if there is a quick way of doing so. I want the item ids of the part files, and the descriptions of every item within that part file to have a suffix of OBS. I can change the description of multiple selected files by going into edit properties and then using the find/replace functionality to add a suffix. However, the main part files need to have their item ids changed and it says I cant edit multiple item Ids at the same time. I can also do it with ITK code but I cant find any specific function for it. GTAC suggesed looking through AOM_set functions but non relate to the task at hand.Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES

Re: Change Item Ids for multiple Part files

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Why not release the Item using an "Obsolete" release status? Releasing the Item locks it down so that no further revisions can be made. You can even create a custom flag for the obsolete status. I like to use a red circle with a slash through it. Like a no smoking or no parking sign.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter
We have a fear that some designers may later on clone these assemblies from within NX, causing all these OBS part files to be clone with them. Correct me if I am wrong but from my understanding, even though the released part itself cannot be edited, the clone of such parts can be edited. A fixed naming convention for OBS items would let the designers know even if the item is cloned over.

Legend
Legend

Hello,

On top of what @RandyEllsworth suggested, you can have a AM rule to revoke copy privileges on the items with Obsolete status.

This preverts users from cloning any part with Obsolete or an equivalent status

Regards

Mahendra

Phenom
Phenom

I/we would like a part that obsolete, to not only not be editable, but also not be able to be added to new assemblies.  Our feeling, is if the part is obsolete, it shouldn't be used in new assemblies.  

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I use a WF handler,  PS-check-assembly-status-progression, to prevent assemblies from being status if any component in the assembly doesn't have a proper status.  This prevents our obsoleted item revisions from getting included in a released assembly.

You can also use the BOM grading functionality in Structure Manager to do something similar by flagging components that are not compliant with your defined business practices.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Also, if using NX, I think you can use Check-Mate to flag them too.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,