cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Item Types in Teamcenter NX integration

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am consulting with an Engineering company that operates on several CAD Tools and is moving into PLM on Teamcenter.  All the CAD tools with TC Integration allow for changing the Item Type through forms of the Save As operation except NX.  The only operation that comes close (that I can find) in NX is Cloning.  Is there a cleaner process for modifying Item Type and I am missing it. 

9 REPLIES

Re: Changing Item Types in Teamcenter NX integration

Genius
Genius

You can assign the different item type from the NX Integrator.

1) On the Numbering Tab during the Import assembly into Teamcenter.

2) When you perform Save As ? you can choose the Item type too.

Hope this helps !

Cheers.

Teamcenter 10.1.3
TC Visualization 10.1.3 (Custom Patch)
NX:8.5 | NX 9.02 | Catia V5 R2012 | AutoCAD 2015 | In-Context Editor |

Experimenter
Experimenter
TCNinja - Thnaks for the quick response but "Houston we have a problem." I am a Catia/Enovia guy and actually haven't been in that chair for a while so be remedial with me. I have not run across the NX Integrator at least by that name, I have not worked with the Import operation as I am working inside TC/NX but will see what I can do with that and there is not a capability in Save As in either TC10 or NX9 that modifies the Item Type - not sure if this configurable and its suppressed?

Our PLM consultants have multiple Item Types we are moving into from a generic Item Type. In SolidWorks, IDEAs and PRO/E CREO it is a simple Save As (or similar) to move an item from let's say Design Part to Commercial Part. This is not the case in the TC/NX Integration I am working with. I have read some articles from PLM DOJO covering automating the Clone API to migrate blocks of data and will probably go that way as needed but I am looking for the Single User solution.

This message and any attachments may be a confidential attorney-client communication or otherwise be privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, distribution or copying of this transmittal is prohibited. If you have received this transmittal in error, please reply by e-mail and delete this message and all attachments.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

NX is shipping with the Teamcenter integration, which changes the save and load dialogs automatically, when run in a managed session.

ManagedSaveAsDialog.png

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks for the reply. Your answer coupled with TCNinja's input indicates that there is a configuration or BMIDE enabled solution that will open up the Item Type Attribute for change during the Save As operation. Can anyone tell me where this is configured?

This message and any attachments may be a confidential attorney-client communication or otherwise be privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, distribution or copying of this transmittal is prohibited. If you have received this transmittal in error, please reply by e-mail and delete this message and all attachments.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Teamcenter doesn't enable the changing of Item types for an obvious reason. Each type can have its own set of unique properties, forms, naming, business rules, etc. How would you migrate property values from one to the other when they don't share the same properties? Especially when some of those properties may be required?

Now NX is a different beast, and through cloning, you can create a NEW Item type based on an EXISTING type. But you cannot CHANGE the type of an existing Item.

You can write ITK to perform a change of the Item type where ITK handles migrating the data to the new type and setting default values, etc (and I've done that before). For mass change of Item types there are several tools and techniques available, the most robust solutions leverage SITCON (site consolidation) and stand up a new instance of TC with the revised schema then map the differences between old and new.

Best,

/Randy

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter
I agree with Teamcenters capability on this (from what I have found) but I find it strange that it is possible to change Item Type through Save As in the other CAD Tools (Solidworks, I-DEAs, Pro/E CREO) with Teamcenter Integration - this where I started this journey and I have two responses that say it is possible in the TC/NX Integration. I would love to stop grinding on this but it appears I am getting two opinions on this. I have the tools for working with NX Open C with the Clone API for moving blocks of Data through the migration process but would like the Single User solution for addressing Legacy Data that we do not want to migrate on a case-by-case basis.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Say I have an mold tool assembly already loaded into Teamcenter and this assembly contains small variations in the mold shape, lets call it an AD version and a Non-AD version, depending on what our customer wants the part to look like on any given day. In NX we have a couple of component parts we swap out that are handled by reference sets or suppression. In Teamcenter we want to be able to have both variations available to our tooling engineer, but we do not want him to think about reference sets or suppressing and un-suppressing. Through Teamcenter integration can I do a "Save As Alternate Representation", one being setup as the "AD" version and the other setup as the "Non-AD" version to accomplish that. I am a bit new at Teamcenter, so could you explain the best process for this.

Thanks, MC   

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

You should start a new thread as your question doesn't appear to be a continuance of the existing thread. There are several methods to achieve your result. One is using options and variants in structure manager to configure the BOM then send to NX.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter
This was sent to me I did not send it out. The original Changing Item Types was my question months ago.

Jon