cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classifying Industry Standard Fasteners

Experimenter
Experimenter

Why should companies like mine reinvent classification (and attribute) schemas for the thousands of industry standard items such as nuts, bolts, screws, washers, O-rings, and other fasteners? The job of designing and classifying the myriad of proprietary items manufactured by companies is daunting enough, let alone developing and assigning classifications to all the “nuts & bolts” that tie them together.

Has any work been done by suppliers to predefine and provide classification and attribute information that can be loaded into the Teamcenter Classification system for items they sell to manufacturers/OEMs? Have other manufacturing companies pressed suppliers for this type of information?  I'm interested in hearing from the Teamcenter community on availability of this information.

2 REPLIES

Re: Classifying Industry Standard Fasteners

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
You didn't mention which CAD system you're using but I assume it isn't NX else you would know about:
NX Machinery Library - which contains ANSI, ISO, DIN, UNI and other standard formats in both Inch and Metric.
NX Manufacturing Resource Library (MRL) - which contains turning, milling and other tooling assemblies.
Reuse Library - for importing Vendor catalogs and building internal catalogs.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Re: Classifying Industry Standard Fasteners

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hey Randy,

Even CATIAV5/V6 comes with such inbuilt catalogs, but I presume the difficulty using these will be with maintaining EBOM structures.

Dan,
Every organisation uses distinct part IDs for standard parts, the cataloging for these items can be defined in KBE tools for NX or CATIA or any other CAD softwares. Meaning Supplier S1 might be providing same Bolt to Manufacturer M1, M2 and M3 but the Bolt will be identified as Part number xxxxxx by M1, xxxxyyyy by M2 and yyyyxxxx by M3, in this way S1 cannot maintain the catalog from their end. It should be done by Internal IT/Automation teams of M1, M2 and M3