Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Column in structure manager for manual editing part number

Both shown and opposite part numbers are modeled in single file and named it as ABCD-1-2 and added twice in the assembly to reflect -1 and -2 component. -1 and -2 are controlled by reference set. However in BOM they are separate parts. When I am applying variant condition getting to part number ABCD-1-2 have to refer drawing for options for -1 and -2. Looking for whether there is any column in structure so that part number can be manually (ABCD-1 and ABCD-2) updated for this kind of part numbers. Currently these part numbers are there in cad from long time we don’t want to separate part numbers in cad.

Or suggest any other alternative solution to avoid confusion to downstream users.

7 REPLIES

Re: Column in structure manager for manual editing part number

Since your handedness is controlled using Reference Sets in NX, what about if you turn on the UG REF SET column in Structure Manager?

Regards, Ben

I have that option too, however looking for part number to match with BOM if exported from structure manager

You've probably noticed that while you can edit the Item Name in Structure Manager (SM) it will edit the name for all instances of the item.  Obviously you can't edit the item no itself.  The only time I've seen something close to what you're looking for is when a user had opposite hands in a single part file and they wanted to see the separate left and right hand JT's in the graphics window of the SM Data Panel.  It was suggested that they use Alternate Representations.  That way they create their LH and RH alt rep parts, each have their own JT and can be positioned correctly in the JT assembly and seen as such in the Data Panel.  An advantage of this is that they both appear in the BOM as a single part number (item id), but they can have unique UG ALTREP names, reflecting their hand.  You would need to turn on the UG ALTREP column in SM to see these.  Obviously this doesn't help you as the part data already exists, but it something to consider for the future.  Another consideration would be Alternate ID's.

Thanks Ben, Can we add alternate part numbers to existing part numbers? Also can we replace with alternative part numbers in SM?

Per the page in the documentation that I linked to above: "an Alternate ID can be added to a part at any time". I'm not sure about replacing the ID's in SM - I suspect that it's an addition column.

Hi @CSJK,

I just found the following page in the Teamcenter documentation on "Overview of alternate and alias identifiers".  It states: "To display alternate identifier values in Structure Manager, you must edit a preference to add the column to the BOM line display table".  Another consideration would be Alias ID's.  Maybe someone in the forums with more familiarity of Alternate and/or Alias ID's can provide input.

Regards, Ben

[ Edited ]

Thanks Ben, i will look ino this, however I am unable to view that document since I dont have web key.