Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dataset duplication in TC while saving from CAD

Creator
Creator

Hi,

There has been a configuration made in BMIDE that creates a dataset automatically when the respective item is created. For example, when a part item is created it creates the same dataset with the name itemID.ipt . The issue is when we save a part or an assembly from the CAD to Teamcenter (inventor in our case) there are two datasets created one with itemID.ipt and another itemID-A , this results in a file duplication when loading the assembly or the parts.

Is there a way to stop the creation of the datasets when saving from CAD to TC.

test_imp.jpg

Regards,

TC 12.0 , Inventor 2018

@RandyEllsworth  @Jamie_Griffis 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Dataset duplication in TC while saving from CAD

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@plm_test - My opinion would be to turn off the automatic creation of the dataset in BMIDE. I don't understand why you'd want to do that for a CAD dataset. Maybe the naming of the dataset is the issue for TCAI and you can correct it to the format used when created from Inventor. I've not worked with TCAI so I can't be certain but some of the other CAD integration expect specific dataset naming formats.

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Creator
Creator
Specific dataset naming format in the sense ? We have already matched tge itemID and the name created from the Inventor.

Gears Phenom

@plm_test  - you have 2 shown with different dataset names. Which is created in TCAI vs BMIDE?

tcai_datasetname.png

Highlighted

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
The automatic creation of a CAD dataset when the Item is created seems like a design mistake. It makes sense in other situations where documents are involved like for design specifications but rarely make sense for CAD datasets. My advice, like @Jamie_Griffis, is to remove the automatic creation in BMIDE. Many CAD integrations have conflicting requirements that don't support your use-case.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Creator
Creator
ItemID-A is created from CAD while saving to Teamcenter and .ipt dataset is created due to the BMIDE customization done.Is there a way to stop the creation of .ipt files when saved from CAD ? Or is removing the automatic CAD dataset creation the only feasible solution?

@Jamie_Griffis

Gears Phenom

@plm_test - you'd have to customize your CAD integration to bypass what BMIDE is doing. You could try to fix the naming of the automatic in BMIDE and see if the CAD will then use that dataset instead of a new one. Otherwise I think you'll have to remove it.

Creator
Creator

Tried bypassing but in vain and also made the dataset naming rule to match but didn't work out. So we are removing it as of now.

Gears Phenom

The CAD integrations all work a bit differently, but it isn't too suprising you can't bypass it. The integration wants to control the dataset. If you manually create a dataset in TC, will the TCAI use it? 

Creator
Creator
Yeah, TCAI is able to access the manually created dataset. We can even set a template to the manually created dataset.

@Jamie_Griffis