Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Determine NX Assembly Size in Teamcenter Volumes prior to Export to OS

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Does anybody know of a way to determine the total size on disk (volumes) of an Teamcenter Managed NX assembly prior to exporting it from Teamcenter?  Are there any OOTB tools on the NX or Teamcenter side that provides this information without writing a custom UG Open program?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Determine NX Assembly Size in Teamcenter Volumes prior to Export to OS

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Have you looked at the ug_inspect utility?
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.2/nx_help#uid:xid1128423:index_command_line_uti...

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Siemens Experimenter

Randy,

I know about most of those tools from back in the days when managing Native NX.  I didnt think these utilities worked in TC Managed Mode though?  I could be wrong.  They want the information before they export it.  If you have the syntax on how this works in Managed mode, I am all ears..  I will do some checking into this.

Just because you are running in managed mode doesn't mean the utilities stop working as that only affects file names and other things stored in Teamcenter. NX is still the same beast. Use the link I provided to learn more about syntax and how to run them on the command line.

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

I didnt think these utilities worked in TC Managed Mode though?  I could be wrong.  They want the information before they export it.

Hi @BBrun,

You are correct.  The ug_inspect utility does not work in a managed environment, and while it does report the Part File Size you would need to use additional utilities (ugpc?) to walk down the assembly structure to calculate the size of each component.

The information is in Teamcenter; the named reference of each UGMASTER lists its .prt file size, and you have the assembly structure in the bvr.  Its seems logical that you could just walk down the bvr and capture the file size of each component.  Unfortunately no such utility exists, but we do have an existing Enhancement Request (ER) 4599492 in our system asking for the ability to determine the size of an assembly and all its components.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Experimenter

Ben,

Thanks for the reply.  Yeh... maybe if there was a way to expose the UGMASTER Named Reference "Size" property as a compound property to the UGMASTER and ultimetly to the Revision that contains it, it could be exposed to the BOM in Structure Manager.  This way when different Revision Rules are applied you can see the change as parts are swapped in and out.  Export to Spreadsheet can easily add it up.  I think UGOpen could do this very easily from the NX side.

Well then I guess I've been doing something strange for a lot of years by checking out the assembly and its components using "export on checkout" and running the NX utilities against the files in the export directory.

You are right that figuring out the file size for the whole assembly is daunting and having a method to perform that action in one go would be a great enhancement. I'll add our name to the ER.

Maybe just looking at the checked out assembly/components in the export directory is enough? Requires some discipline on what is checked out and definitely isn't any easier than exporting it to see what the file size is. Would performing a clone "dryrun" help? An NX Open program could do it too. But all these options require some form of open/export to get to what you're looking for.