Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dublicating sub assemblies

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,
i have a question: I want to make an exploded view of an assembly which contains many smaller assemblies. This smaller assemblies are connected via Teamcenter so displacements of parts would lead to displacements in the main assembly. How can I copy and dublicate a smaller assembly in NX or teamcenter with changing the ID-of the item? I am using Teamcenter 11 and Siemens NX10. I hope you can help me and you understand what I mean (English is not my native language).

Thanks in advance!

Flo

5 REPLIES

Re: Dublicating sub assemblies

Hi @Flo-PLM,

From manged NX, use 'Clone Assembly' to create a duplicate assembly/subassembly.

Menu > Assemblies > Cloning > Create Clone Assembly.

Add the subassembly required, set the numbering as per your requirement and execute from main tab. 

cloneasm.png

From Teamcenter, send subassembly to 'Structure Manager'.

With root item selected, Go to File >  Duplicate.

Review and select the other applicable options in 'Duplicate' dialog as per your requirement.

cloneasm1.png

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 11 | NX 12 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Have you looked into the Exploded View and Arrangement capabilities of NX?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey, thank you for your help. I will check this out.

I saw your reply after work so I had done another strategy. I operate with the command "save as". Consequently I created a new sub-assembly and exchanged it with the old one. Is this okay? Or could there arise bugs?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you. The command is good for small assemblies. I like the possibility to create lines between the parts. But I think there are problems with assemblies which are devided in many sub assemblies.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

So you have two versions of the same assembly, with one being the exploded one, and you did this to avoid the explosions showing up in higher level assemblies?  You might witness some unexpected results but you shouldn't encounter any bugs.  I'm not so sure that I would use this approach to created exploded views.  Any changes that occur to your original assembly would have to be duplicated in your clone assembly in order for the exploded version to be correct.  It seems like you'd be duplicating efforts down the road.

Arrangements allow you to position the components in multiple "arrangements" within the same master model assembly.  Each arrangement can be displayed in a drawing sheet view and can be toggled on and off in higher level assemblies.  Explosions must be created at the same level at the drawing sheet, therefore the positions of the exploded components are not seen at the master model level (do not affect higher assemblies).