Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

File Client Cache is not enabled error message for a user on TC 10.1.4

After a recent restart of web, fms and sql restart, some users are receiving the below / attached error message.

Unsure whether it is related to the restart or not.

"File client Cache is not enabled. Please contact your System Administrator. ServerDownException..."

One client PC has had the FCCcache, Siemens and teamcenter folders deleted and restarted, the error is repeated for the same item.

the FSC service on FMS server is in a Started state.

This messsage only appears on some datasets (seems like larger datasets between 40 megabytes and over).

In a separate, but related post, somebody mentioned running the FCCstat command however the instructions did not work for me, either they were incomplete, or I've made an incorrect assumption on how to run the commands.

Please could somebody provide guidance, whether client and/or server side?

6 REPLIES

Re: File Client Cache is not enabled error message for a user on TC 10.1.4

[ Edited ]

If there are multiple client installed & running on a single machine, FCC issues may occur. You can either clear your entire cache before starting respective client, or or try setting below environment variable

set TC_SKIP_CLIENT_CACHE=1

Instructions to use fccstat are provided in the attached below.

fccstat.jpg 

Swapnil Gawas
Testing, Teamcenter 11.2.x | Active Workspace 3.x

The Textserver shared memory may need to be rebuilt. You'll have to stop all Teamcenter services accessing shared memory (basically, everything except FSC). Then delete the shared memory folder, by default, in C:\Users\rellsworth\AppData\Local\Temp\V10*. Note: It could be in a numbered sub-directory of Temp as session id's are set by default so delete any numbered sub-directories also e.g. \Temp\2, \Temp\3

Restarting Teamcenter will rebuild the shared memory directory structure and contents. You can force a rebuild by running the following utilities in a Teamcenter command window before restarting Teamcenter as follows:
# Delete
generate_metadata_cache -u=infodba -p=infodba -g=dba -delete
generate_client_meta_cache -u=infodba -p=infodba -g=dba -t delete all

# Regenerate
generate_client_meta_cache -u=infodba -p=infodba -g=dba -t generate all
generate_metadata_cache -u=infodba -p=infodba -g=dba -force

Now restart Teamcenter. Hope that helps.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Hi Swapnil, many thanks.

The client cache was cleared on the PC then restarted however the error still appeared.

It seems only to occur on larger files. 

When is the best time to run the fccstat command? when I am incurring the issue? or after the error message is received?

Hello,

In most cases, this operation is performed after you encounter error with your FCC. Since there is a possibility that some organization/user might configure the portal.bat file to perform clearing FCC cache & at the same time starting/restarting FCC, you do not have to do this everytime manually.

However, If the portal.bat fails to start the fcc after clearing cache, this method of manually restarting fcc is used.

Getting back to your problem, do let me know if Randy's solution of regenerating schema file worked for you?

Good luck !!

Swapnil Gawas
Testing, Teamcenter 11.2.x | Active Workspace 3.x

Hi - sorry for delay in responding (annual leave)

I have NOT tried the solution from Randy because we don't have the internal expertise to do this, or know what the impact of carrying out these actions are. Also, if we needed to reverse the action, what would we do.

I have been advised now that the Restart of the tiers was instructed because of reported "slowness" within Teamcenter application, use cases involved:

1) file>new item> form not appearing, 2) navigation within Tc slow, 3) upload/download slow... there were reported errors relating to FMS server and FCC cache. Re: FMS services, I believe a service or two were down. Restarting did NOT fix anything so a restart was ordered of all tiers.

Since then, the only use case that is not performing to normal standards is DOWNLOAD via Named Reference. All other use cases have returned to normal.  The named references/downloads are slow to MULTIPLE offices.

We have been advised by IT that nothing has been changed in regards to routing, dns etc.

I MAY be changing the topic of the thread here but this new information still seems relevant.

Should we be checking the FMS server for issues? WEB server? Inside Teamcenter application?

Any further guidance would be very much appreciated.

regards, N.

I would check the transient volume settings.

First, ensure the following preferences are correct:
Fms_BootStrap_Urls
Default_Transient_Server
Transient_Volume_Installation_Location
Transient_Volume_RootDir
Default_Transient_Volume_Id

Log onto the "Default_Transient_Server" and in a TC command window run:
backup_xmlinfo -u=infodba -p=infodba -g=dba

In backup.xml, compare the transVolId (associated with wntPath) to the Default_Transient_Volume_Id value. They should match. If they don't then you need to change the preference value in Teamcenter.

The transient volume id is a computed value using site id, value of Transient_Volume_RootDir and the value of Transient_Volume_RootDir. Changes to any of these will lead to a different transient volume id.

After the preferences are correct and you're getting matching values in backup.xml then you can validate that the FMS Master is updated. Restart the FSC service after changing the FMS Master (restart master first then slave FSC's if you have them).

That should resolve your export issue.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2