cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional differences within different TCRS architectures

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all,

I am new to Teamcenter and currently trying to get through the different client-server-architectures (2tier vs. 4tier). I understand that "2tier" and "4tier" actually just denote different types of architecture concepts, however, I still wonder whether there are functional differences the end user might experience.

Hope you get my question, please let me know if more clarification is necessary

Thanks a lot for your patience.

3 REPLIES

Re: Functional differences within different TCRS architectures

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
The main functional difference is performance. A "2tier" client cannot tolerate latency since it talks directly to the database server. A "4tier" client is latency tolerate since it employs the http(s) protocol. A 4tier will out perform 2tier with latencies as low as 2ms. A 2tier starts to have trouble with a latency of 10ms. While a 4tier can tolerate latencies up to 350ms (but has slow performance). A simple latency test is to ping the database server from the client. Some applications/modules/functionality still require a 2tier client but those are pretty rare these days (Dispatcher Module for CAD translators is one example). Almost everything works with a 4tier client today.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Randy,

thanks a lot for your quick and interesting answer :-)

Unfortunately I have to admit that my initial question has been somewhat misleading. With "functional" differences I rather thought of differences between software features (e.g. systems engineering). One of my colleagues claimed that some features that work in 4tier architectures do not work in 2tier architectures and vice versa.

Hope I could get my point across now

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

And some features only work on Windows while others work on Linux/Mac. I don't know of anyone responsible for that kind of metadata in Siemens. You might be able to piece most of it together through massive research, trial and error but it would be a huge effort. I would certainly be interested in seeing the result.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2