cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost parts importing into Teamcenter with my NX assembly!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I'm trying to import a NX assembly into Teamcenter.  Everything is successful except that I get old parts that don't exist anymore follwing the assembly into Teamcenter.  I can't find these parts listed anywhere in the assembly in NX.  I can't even find the named files on my computer or network.  I've tried everything from  importing every part individually with no dependents to importing dependents only from the specified folder.  In NX I went into Utilities and Part Cleanup to try and get rid of anything attached to the assembly files but that didn't work either.  Has anybody else seen this or know of a way to look up associations within an NX assembly?  Thanks.

Jon

4 REPLIES

Re: Ghost parts importing into Teamcenter with my NX assembly!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Jon_Cornell,

Were you able to successfully import the assembly and just looking for suggestions?

Both the ug_inspect and ug_edit_part_names utilities will likely list the "ghost" references, but they won't explain why they are being referenced.  There can be many reasons they exist, such as parts renamed on the O/S, interpart references (WAVE, promotions, positioning constraints, interpart expressions, etc), arrangements, drafting components and so on.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

I need to be able to delete these extra parts or prevent them from following the assembly to be imported.  They seem to be old parts that I either renamed or replaced.  I cloned the assembly prior to importing into Teamcenter to create consistant names.  The extra parts aren't part of the original assembly as far as I can tell though.  Thanks.

Jon

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Jon_Cornell,

You didn't mention whether or not the assembly successfully imports.

If you don't know how or why these ghost parts are being referenced it's unlikely that you'll be able to delete them, or prevent them from being referenced in the assembly.  Are they only reported when the assembly is being imported or is a similar message raised on File > Open?

If part files have been renamed on the OS, the ghost references typically get called after the new names, which sometimes helps identify which parts were renamed and where to redirect references using the ug_edit_part_names utility.  

Which version of NX and Teamcenter are you using?

You might want to consider contacting your local GTAC office to have them review your assembly and help identify why these parts are being referenced.  They can help you clean up the parts.

Regards, Ben

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Don't forget to grab/review the .clone file. It can help you figure out what's being imported before actually importing the assembly (Dry Run).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2