Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

How can I install 2 Teamcenter 11.2 Serves for Loadbalancing

Hello,
I want to install 2 servers for software (or Hardware with F5) Load Balancing. Did someone had a step per step installation advice?

Thank you for the help

Regards,

7 REPLIES

Re: How can I install 2 Teamcenter 11.2 Serves for Loadbalancing

The only place where HW load balancing makes sense is for the web tier. I've used F5 before successfully but I don't have the step-by-step setup. Remember to enable "Big Cookies" (or something like that) so that session id's are retained.

Note: You'll need a second F5 on standby in case of disaster (expensive option) or risk the single point of failure.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Hello Randy,

thank you for the informations. About Big Cookies what do you means? It's Big Cookies to be activated in F5 or our web server (we are using IIS for Windows server 2012)? We are also using 4 Tier client.

Our F5 are administrated by somebody else (outside the firm so I have no idear how to configure and how it's works), so I only make the Teamcenter 11.2.1 Installation.

I installed the following features on the second server:

Solutions (corporate server, volume .....): nothing

Features: Teamcenter Foundation, .Net Based Server Manager, FMS Server Cache, Web Tier for .NET

Foundation: USe populated database and existing data directory (same database like the first server)

Data Directory: the same like the first server (Master Server)

.Net Server Manager: new Pool ID same name like the first server (master server)

.Net Web Tier: host is the second server

IIS virtual directory: virtual directory name ist the same like the first server

.Net Web Tier: second server xxx.com:8085

Thank you for help

Regards,

Bilobill

after the configuration with F5, we have the problem that the message "New  Teamcenter Server has been assigned" always appear, also when we are working in the application. But when we are directly connect on the server without load balancing, this message didn't appear.

"Big Cookie" needs to be configured on F5 or it doesn't know about your session id and will route you to a different tcserver. Hence, the message "New server assigned". It must be config'd on F5 or you won't get LB to work.

It is strange that you have so much installed on the second server. As I stated earlier, LB is usually configured for the Web Tier only. And then usually J2EE and not .NET (IIS). Why the separate port numbers for each web server, they can be the same? The different names for pools and webapps is appropriate.

Hello Randy,

alrights, big cookies must be configured in F5.I will ask the administrator of F5 about it(already send the request -Smiley Happy).

You means the message "New server assigned" is because the "Big cookies " was not properly configurated?

For the second part of your answer, we make all installations without any help (we found nothing nobody can help us). If you means we must only install the Web Tier, we will try to make a new installation and check if it#s better.

For the port number, that's the default port number of the .Net web Tier, it's the same on the two server. But on the two web servers, the http Port is 8080 als usual.

HTTP  8080,
.NET Web Tier 8085
MUX 8087

Thank you again !

If you can provide a landscape diagram of your servers and installation then I might be able to help you better architect your environment.

On F5, look for "stickybit" or "affinity" setting (may not be called Big Cookie anymore):

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.2.3/help/#uid:xid1177897

For IIS, look towards configuring a "farm":

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.2.3/help/#uid:MS_IIS_NLB

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author bilobill
‎01-26-2017 10:18 AM

Hello Randy,

we activated the persistent cookies on F5 and it seems to be working fine and also stable,. After more than 45 minutes I didn't had a deconnection or any message. I hope it will stay like this.

Thank you very much for the info about Big cookies.

Regards,

Rodrigue