cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link items in alternate hierarchy

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,
I would like to create an alternate hierrarchy with an item "B" being the copy of another item "A", but with B being modified everytime I do a change in A. I would need the B element to follow every modification done on A. Up to now, if I copy an element, it will be independant of the initial one.
This would help me a lot to create complex alternate hierarchies but I can't sort out such function, does it exist in TC Visualization Mockup 10.1?

2 REPLIES

Re: How to link items in alternate hierarchy

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

To reuse content from one structure to another structure there are two alternatives for keeping them up-to-date as your need is expressed.

So for your example you have something like the following as your source:

OriginalTop

SubAsm

A

P1

P2

In the simplest form or reuse you could directly add assembly "A" into your other structure:

MyTop

MySub

A

P1

P2

Any changes to the content of the assembly "A" would appear in your own structure.  In this case there is no "Copy" of the assembly A->B, just a reuse of the assembly.  This is desirable if you do not need independant control of the assembly and simply want to reuse its definition in another context.

Now if you need the CONTENT of assembly "A" but need to have it logically mapped into a new context to be independently managed into assembly "B" one could use Multi-Structure-Manager to create your second structure:

MyTop

MySub

B

You would then:

1) Link the two structures OriginalTop and MyTop

2) Assign P1, P2 from A to B

(see Multi-Structure-Manager guide for details).

Because this is a new structure it is not automatically aware of changes to the original source.  If that is desired you can of course just reference instead of creating new.  To update, you can run an Accountability Check to see what has changed and have a streamlined interaction to to update accordingly.  This is a common pattern for companies that have an EBOM structure and arrange that content differently with some additional content in an MBOM structure.

The visualization of the second structure will be fully functional.

“For something this complicated, it’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.” - Steve Jobs

Re: How to link items in alternate hierarchy

Experimenter
Experimenter

First, thank you for the speed of your answer, I do really appreciate, but I am affraid that I expressed my need incorrectly: the assemblies I want to copy are not part of my original model, but are Manufacturing sub-assemblies not present in the native Creo files.

What I want to do would look like:

OriginalTop

SubAsm

A

P1

P2

P3

And then

MyTop

MySub

B

P1

P3

B'

P1

P3

In this configuration, I would like to link A and A' so that everychange on B (removing part P1, addind another part from another assembly) would automatically reflect in B', which is not the case today. I hope my explanation is clearer.