cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing new NX assembly structure to already existing assembly structure in Teamcenter 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey,

I have a task at the company I am working

"To import new NX assembly structure to already existing assembly structure in Teamcenter 10. The assembly structure is huge, it's an assembly structure of an automotive. It consist different model platform.

Every week, supplier sends a new updated data.

The manager has said the new data received from the suppliers i.e. NX assembly structure should be synchronized to the existing data, to either existing item revision or creating another revision to the same design Item number existing in Teamcenter 10.    

In the case, if the suppliers new data needs to be synchronized to existing design item revision then the manager suggests to have it baselined for all the design items in TC10 before synchronizing it to TC10 from NX 10.

The criteria is to synchronize NX assembly structure data to the existing assembly structure in TC10. Not creating another assembly structure in TC10.

Could anyone please tell me how to perform this task. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any information on this to understand it better, I would be happy to supply any such.

Thank You in Advance.

6 REPLIES

Re: Importing new NX assembly structure to already existing assembly structure in Teamcenter 10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Sourabh_G,

Based on your explanation it looks like you need to review Incremental Change Baselines and Importing An Assembly into Teamcenter.

Regards, Ben

Re: Importing new NX assembly structure to already existing assembly structure in Teamcenter 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello @BenBroad

Thank you for your support on this. I have been working with baselines and import assembly via NX. The links that you have provided has information on re-importing assemblies using a mapping file. This something I haven't tried it before. 

I am working on this. Once I am able to do the re-import to the same assembly structure, I will put the steps in this page. 

Thank you 

Kind Regards

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Sourabh_G,

Just to let you know that importing using a mapping (ug_import) file is no longer supported by development.  It's a legacy command that was replaced with ug_clone.  Going forward, ug_clone will continue to be enhanced and updated as the software improves, unlike ug_import.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

There is also another utility - tcin_import

Siemens Phenom

Hi @mss,

Thank you!! You forced me into finally comparing the two utilities (something I've been meaning to do for a while).  From what I can see it looks like tcin_import has some extended capabilities over ug_clone:

[-number_a=<number attribute>]      New: Read attribute to define ${DB_PART_NO}
[-revision_a=<revision attribute>]  New: Read attribute to define ${DB_PART_REV}

[-publish_information=<yes|no>      New: Publish WAVE, drawing & CAE relations, product interfaces, preview images, attribute forms and b-boxes

[-import_dfa_kf]                    New: import individual DFA KF parts
[-import_dfa_list]                  New: import a list of DFA KF parts
[-part=<DFA file name>]             New: DFA parts only
[-use_t=<yes|no>]                   New: Use Item Type from Part file (overrides default_t)

Here are the ug_clone options that are not available in tcin_import (mainly because it doesn't export data):

ug_clone switches that tcin_import does not use:

[-pim=<yes>]
[-o=<operation>]
[-par=<part>]
[-fol=<folder name> as <user>:<folder>:<folder...>
[-default_checki=<default check in>]
[-default_checko=<default check out>]
[-copy_a=<copy associated files>]
[-copy_n=<copy non-master type>]
[-copy_related_draw]=<yes|no>
[-copy_related_cae]=<none|ideal|fem|all>
[-default_d=<default directory>]
[-r=<revision rule>
[-aut=<default|legacy>
[-propagate=<yes|no>
[-export_dfa_kf=<dfa_only|dfa_in_part>
[-export_dfa_list]
[-rev_up]
[-attach_log_file]

Surprisingly tcin_import doesn't offer -rev_up, which assigns the next available item revision to an imported dataset, when the dataset is read-only.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you so much @BenBroad &  @mss