Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In My Teamcenter - Home tab & Newstuff folder - how does stuff get in there?

Pioneer
Pioneer

In My Teamcenter

I should know this, but anyway, how do all of the items get into my home tab or newstuff folder (in the home tab)?

What determines if something just goes into the home tab, or if it goes into Newstuff?

And finally, I want to delete the stuff in the home tab and newstuff folder.  I have been told these are just links and it is o.k. to delete them, but I would like some confirmation before doing this.

By the way, I am an NX user, so they are all Items created in NX.

Thanks for your help.

9 REPLIES

Re: In My Teamcenter - Home tab & Newstuff folder - how does stuff get in there?

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @DaveL3149,

When you create new parts (or a new item) in NX you can choose where (which folders) in Teamcenter to save them, similar to how you would save a file using Windows.  Think of Home as "C:\Users\Dave" and Newstuff as "My Documents".  You can create part files in either of these folders, or create a new one on the fly.  The bottom right hand corner of the "New Item" dialog has the option to define the folder where the parts are to be saved.

Each Item is a container, which itself has Item Revisions and datasets (models and drawings).  Every time you create a new revision of a part a new Item Revision is created under that item.  Each dataset is also a container and includes your part files.  The Customer Defaults has an option to define the "Default Container" (File > Utilities > Customer Defaults > Teamcenter Integration > General > Browse (tab) > Default Container) which is set to ":Newstuff" by default.

Do you only have items in your Home and/or Newstuff folder, or do you have other objects?  Did you copy/paste them from other folders, or as the result of a search or were each of these objects created using NX?  Do you want to delete them because your folders are looking busy?

I just deleted a new test item - which deleted the item and item revision containers from the TC database, but not the datasets beloning to those containers (A General search showed they still exist).  Had I deleted the datasets, the parts would no longer be retrievable.  If you know that these items are no longer required by anyone, I would say deleting them is ok.  If there's a chance that other users are using them, I would use Cut rather than Delete, as Delete will delete the item from all users' folders. 

Cut removes the reference to your Home or Newstuff folder, but leaves the objects intact in the database, therefore anyone who has copy/pasted references to these items will continue to see the objects in their TC folders.  Furthermore, if the objects are reference anywhere the delete operation will fail, reporting "The operation failed on one or more of the selected objects - The instance is referenced".

Hope that helps.

Regards, Ben

Re: In My Teamcenter - Home tab & Newstuff folder - how does stuff get in there?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Ben,

I appreciate the detailed explanation.  My folders have literally hundreds of items, probably because I did alot of importing of assemblies from I-deas.  So I am just now starting to create my own folders to better organize my data.  The first part of organizing is to get rid of the clutter.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Ben,

I cut all of the items out of my home tab and newstuff folder.  I then created some personal folders in the home tab and I would like to add some existing items to them.  When I search for an item, it comes up in a new window just for that item.  Is there a way that I can put that item into one of the folders that I created in my home tab?

Thanks.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Select the Item, copy, go back to your Home and select the Folder you want, paste.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks.

If you're "My Teamcenter" is displaying your new personal folders and the Search Result window, you can simply drag and drop the item from the Search Results on to the new personal folder and it will add a new copy for you.

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

When my search results window is up, it hides my home tab - which is where my new folders are - so I can't drag and drop.  I can copy and paste as Randy recommended.  Is there a way to see both my personal folders and search results at the same time?

@DaveL3149,

This is what my TC session look like.  As you can see I can drag and drop from my Search Results window into my Home folders with my current layout:

Screenshot - 12_1_2017 , 10_45_59 AM.png

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

Excellent.  I can get there by using the search window in the Home tab instead of the one in the side bar.

Thanks again.