Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.JT Ultra Light Precision & Advanced Geometric Compression - queries

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello World!

trying to bring in ULP .JT into unreal but although the geometry appears to come in there is no visible geometry on screen. Also unable to import into 3ds max or in fact using Rhino Datakit plugin where the part isnt even processed.

Anyone have any experience or insights with this .jt format in general and in terms of being able to import/use it?

As a side note, having run a serious of test jt exports using  Advanced Geometric Compression 0.1 through to1 from Teamcentre VizmockUp 11.3 64 bit, there seems to be no difference in geometry and in vert/face counts be it the maximum or minimum settings for AGC. This is also reflected in file size as attached.

Thanks
Dan

7 REPLIES 7

Betreff: .JT Ultra Light Precision & Advanced Geometric Compression - queries

Legend
Legend

Hello Dan,

have you try it with export in version 9.5 or lower?

Some times the importer does not support the newest JT version.

Best Regrads

Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Wolfgang,

no I hadnt!;)

will try this to see if the results are any different.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Dan

Experimenter
Experimenter

So just tried, exporting under jt export settings using both 9.5 and 8.2 [we no longer have 9.5 Vizmockup application] from VizMockUp 11.3..and using AGC alone the difference between 0.1 and 1 settings does not impact filesize or resulting geo tr-count or no of faces?...

this is true for both 9.5 and 8.2 versions of the export..

Creator
Creator

DanH71

If your goal is to reduce triangle count I believe you will have more success using "Part Edit" and "Decimation" in VisMockup before you export the JT's As for reducing number of faces Also look at "Part Edit" and "Tesselation" but I do believe for changing number of faces XtBrep needs to be present if memory serves me correctly. One other thing that might be worth mentioning is ULP JT's use to require the viewer be able to tesselate geometry on the fly, Meaning file size is very small but you pay the price opening the file at the other end. I am not certain that is still the case but wanted to share that insight.  

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Jim,

and thanks for your suggestion.

Ideally the decimation happens at export as we work with  a large no of assemblies and parts [automtive] so unless this process could be batched then I would look more to the ULP export.

Thanks for your insights.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

ULP JT files are different from "regular" JT files in that they don't have any facet information. The part is tessellated on the fly when it is opened.

I have zero exerpience with unreal, but I am thinking that it is expecting faceted data and doesn't know how to tessellate the ULP JT file on the fly.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Mark,

question is , opened by what? So far I have tried 3ds max 2016/18 as well as using DataKit for Rhino and neither has been able to open ULP files.

Obviously, TCe can open them but apart from that i am struggling to see there use outside of TCe.

Dan