Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need revision rule: "latest released at given date in the past"

Hi,

Our company maintains a portfolio with standard products. We improve and redesign these product continuously (new part numbers and/or revisions). Most products we sell however are specials: based our latest standards, but modified to meet customer specific demands.

Currently, we work in a windows file/folder environment, so without PDM. For each order, we copy the latest version of a standard product to an order folder and then make the customer specific modifications there. If a customer calls us 3 years later, we have the 3D model available of their product THE WAY IT LEFT OUR COMPANY. This is very important to us.

How can I achieve this with PDM?

- If I open an assembly with the 'latest released' revision rule, it will show revisions that didn't even exist when the product was built 3 years ago.
- If I open an assembly with the 'as saved' revision rule, it will show the product how is was explicitly saved in CAD, so without any newer revisions that were released at the time the product was built.

9 REPLIES

Re: Need revision rule: "latest released at given date in the past"

The easiest way to open parts/assemblies that were previously configured is to save them with structure manager set to "precise". Without the "precise" setting then you are relying on revision rules which will not give you a snapshot in time. However, the "precise" setting would have to be enabled before you sent it to the customer. Another method leverages the "Baseline" function.

Best,

/Randy

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Thanks Randy,

Could you please comment on this:

- I sell a product in 2014 and set the entire product structure to 'precise' in Stucture Manager to create a 'snapshot'

- One of it's subassemblies 3 levels deep gets revised in 2015...

- I sell the same product again in 2016. I open it with the 'latest released' rule in Structure Manager and set the structure to 'precise' again to create another 'snapshot'.

Would I have the exact states of both the 2014 and 2016 products available? I can't test this myself now.

The difference between precise and not precise is that precise references the item revisions whereas the not precise assembly references the items.

So the following precise structures will be loaded:

1. with revision A of the root assembly part the assembly from 2014 will be loaded
  2. with revision B of the root assembly part the assembly from 2015 will be loaded

Hope this clears things up.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Stefan,

I guess I understand the concept of precise assemblies now, but:

If the only difference between the two products is a revised item at level 3 of the BOM, I would not create revisions for it's parent assemblies. I heared this is best practise to reduce the impact of a revision ripple (no revisions needed all the way to the top).

So there wouldn't be a A and B revision of the top level assembly to open in the first place.

If you don't revise the parent assemblies up to the top, you will end up with an undefined state of the assembly.

To load the assembly at the stage of 2015, you would have to know that you first have to load revision B of the assembly at level 3, but who would remember that?

In such a case a baseline seems to be more appropriate.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

I agree that a baseline sounds like the right fit for your situation. You may need to change the configuration so that the baseline isn't removed when the revision is released. A special status to differentiate between "normal prototype" or "sent to customer" can help.

You either work in a "precise" world or you work in a "rules" world. Those in the precise world only turn it off when they revise in order to collect the latest revisions then they turn it back on. Works really well with unit effectivity.

Best,

/Randy

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

We mark an assembly precise during our release process, so we usually work with not precise assemblies.

If an assembly gets released for production it will be turned into a precise assembly, so the state is frozen.

[ Edited ]

Take a look at adding a Date Entry to your Revision Rule.  This will allow you to configure your BOM to any previous date.  It sounds like this may be more applicable to your use case, and does not require you work in a Precise environment.

For example:

CAD Assembly is last saved in Jan 2012.  At that time Std Part-123 rev A is configured.

Std Part-123 is revised and statused to rev B in Feb 2012.

Product is produced in Mar 2012 using rev B of Part-123.

Std Part-123 is revised a few more times in 2014, and is now at rev F.

You'd like to see how the Product was configured when it was built in Mar 2012.

Using a Date entry in a revision rule, you can specify a past date of Mar 2012 when opening the Assembly.  Rev B of Part-123 will be configured instead of Rev F.

If you specify a date of Jan 2012, Rev A will get configured.

This assumes that those Std Parts are statused as they are revised.  The Date entry does not work with Working (non statused) Revisions.

Don

I think Don's response gets you the closest to your goal.  By setting a date to some time in the past in conjunction with a "Latest Released" clause it will choose the last released revision prior to that date.  So for the intent of looking back to what your configuration was in 2012 that can be done without using precise, baselines or snapshots.

To clarify a few other points made.  Baselines are generally a means of ensuring there is a statused revision of your information - working state data is captured in an immutable copy.  One would still need to specify an appropriate revision rule to configure to a configuration in the past.

“For something this complicated, it’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.” - Steve Jobs