Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Released drawings

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Is it possible to search for only release drawings in teamcenter?

If so, how.

11 REPLIES

Re: Released drawings

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Did yoy try 'General' search with object 'Type' and 'Release Status'?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Ganesh.

Thanks for your quick reply.

SO, for it to work correctly all PDF's need to be marked as released.

I only ask because we have some PDF files that are not attached to any model and are stored in the PLM folder.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
> SO, for it to work correctly all PDF's need to be marked as released.
That depends on what you consider a released drawing? Are all PDF's also drawings? How do you differentiate a drawing PDF from a regular PDF?

You could export PDF's to an external system upon release and let mfg users only view those. And when a newer revision is released then the old revision is deleted. Resulting in a separate system where only released drawings are available. A PDF repository.

However, today's mfg users require MORE information and that's where Teamcenter shines. The same can be said for Vendors or Suppliers, etc. More information is the future and a static PDF of the drawing simply isn't enough. Think bigger and change the world.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Randy.

To me a released drawing gives it a chequred flag and can only be modified with a new revision.

All our PDFs are drawings, some are linked to models and some have been added from our old system without models.

We want to go away from our old system and use only Teamcenter.

Can our PDFs without models be marked released?  That way it will be easier for other departments to search for the latest revision drawing and not use old revisions.

Solution Partner Phenom
> Can our PDFs without models be marked released?

The easiest way to manage that is to create a folder in your Home, for example "ReleaseMe", assuming that you belong to the DBA group, to put all your unreleased PDF's in. Perform a query as described by @GaneshKadole and copy the unreleased PDF's to your ReleaseMe folder. Cut out any PDF's that are WIP (shouldn't be released yet) so that you only have the legacy PDF's in the folder. Then start a Tc command window and run the release_man utility using -folder=ReleaseMe. Note: this will not work as infodba and must be run as a regular user who is in the dba group.

Instead of using the release_man utility you can instead just select all the PDF's in the folder and perform a Quick Release. Same result.

The right way to handle it is to find all the ItemRevision's and submit them to a your own workflow that has the EPM-attach-related-objects handler with -relation=IMAN_specification and -attachment=target arguments to release the ItemRevision and PDF. Assuming that the PDF is attached with a specification relation. You can validate the relation type by selecting the ItemRevision, Details tab, and viewing the relation column.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Thanks for your indepth information.

Seems very confusing and it will sink in eventually.  I have only been using Solid Edge & Teamcenter since April and I am getting use to it.

From all that this is what I know & don't know.

1. What is a DBA Group?

2. Our departments & suppliers only require a PDF of what is to be manufactured.

3. When I do a general search for release PDFs it brings up all revisions (how do I make it show only the latest revision).

4. Stand alone PDFs cannot be marked as released. (we will have to deal with this on a case by case basis).

5. Can the search screen be lock so that other departments cannot change the search criteria and only change the name to be found?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have a similar situation, only except that my PDF's are "exported" from NX while in TcE.  The PDF relation shows it as "manifestation."  Is there a way to edit the relation or edit the Workflow so that the PDF is released along with the NX file in the item revision?

Solution Partner Phenom
You can do either. The default relation can be changed in BMIDE and deployed. You can paste the PDF and change the relation. And you can add "manifestation" datasets to the workflow so that it gets a status too.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm still new to TcE Admin, so I need to ask: should I edit the existing action handler by adding another "relation" argument to include "IMAN_manifestation," or do I need to add a new action handler?