Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i delete the unused files from Teamcenter? Will it take any storage space?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I am wondering, should i delete all unused files from teamcenter?

My senior person is saying that we should delete all unneccessary files from teamcenter because it will take up the space.

For example, if i clone an large assembly A to B having more than 50 components. The user gave a wrong name or the user wrongly cloned the assembly A instead of C.

In this case, he is saying that we should delete the cloned assembly and parts from teamcenter to save the space in database. 

Deleting all the links and deleting the items take lots of time.

I just have a question. Does it really takes up that much space from the database?

Is it a normal procedure in other companies of deleting the unused files from teamcenter?

could anyone please answer. thanks for your time.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Should i delete the unused files from Teamcenter? Will it take any storage space?

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Your senior person is correct in saying that you should clean up bad data. What if someone starts using the bad cloned rev A in a thousand assemblies before someone realizes their mistake? Then you have even more cleanup. That's one of the caveats about Tc is that you can get data in pretty fast but removing data is very difficult. Clean it up now before the problem becomes worse. It's not about space, its about integrity.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Re: Should i delete the unused files from Teamcenter? Will it take any storage space?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Randy,

Thanks for your post.

I suggested a way to rename the item id to OBS_XXXX.

He is saying that it will take up the space. I am going to delete all the files anyway :) :) my review is going to be sooner, so i dont want to argue for anything.

I just have a question, does it take that much space if we leave it in teamcenter?

thanks for your time.

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Files don't take (much) space in Tc since they live in the volumes. You can run review_volumes to remove unreferenced files so its not that big of a deal as far as space is concerned. But space isn't really a consideration these days unless your db backups start taking longer than a week. Then you'll be looking for urgent solutions (like near-line archiving).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Pioneer
Pioneer

hi randy,

thanks for your answer.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

To mark data as "DO NOT USE", I coach my users to apply an obsolete status to the Item (and all its item revs) that prevents copy privs and blocks their usage in BOMs by way of assembly status progression WF handlers that prevent an assy from being statused if it contains obsolete statused data.

I also move old and unused volume data to a compressed location on the volume server to save on space.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,