Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solidworks Integration with Siemens Teamcenter PLM

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all, this is my first post and have been working on a Teamcenter deployment for my company.  I am hoping to find someone on this forum that may have worked on such a deployment and that works with Teamcenter and Solidworks and give me hints how the systems can best work together.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Kevin

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Solidworks Integration with Siemens Teamcenter PLM

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Kevin

I and probably others on the forum can help to answer whatever questions you have.  The SolidWorks integration is installed like any other (per-client install plus site-level TEM install).

The main decision you'll have to make during the install process is whether you want the Basic or the Enterprise level of PLM interoperability.  If you choose Enterprise, which supports top-down structure synchronization and MultiCAD, you'll need the TC030506 license.  Otherwise the TC30607 license is all you need.

OOTB configuration is appropriate for a vanilla Teamcenter installation without BMIDE or other customization.  Since all customers have specific item types, properties, etc., some post-install configuration steps are usually needed.  Most common are:

• Pointing the integration toward specific item types, per CAD type.  This is done in the swim.xml file
  • Configuring and loading the attribute mapping.  This process is explained in the Admin guide.  It is slightly more involved than the basic Teamcenter process, due to the additional functionality supported by the integration.
  • Telling the integration which auxiliary or derived file types to automatically translate and save, along with the SolidWorks data.

All of the above are documented in the Admin guide, and I'd recommend you start with that.  You should also check version compatibility before downloading/installing anything.  The latest v12.0.0 integration supports the following:

• Teamcenter 11.2.3 and later
  • Teamcenter 12.0.0 and later
  • SolidWorks 2016 SP0 and later
  • SolidWorks 2017 SP5 and later
  • SolidWorks 2018 SP5 and later

If you have any more specific questions, just send them and someone will reply.

Thanks,
Paul

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the quick response.

The deployment itself is actually being handled by my corporate IT group, so some of the items you mention will be out of my hands and beyond my knowledge. 

My role is the Product Manager and on this project I am responsible for the client installs, workflows, and training the designers, engineers and other consumers to use the software.  for example, how to populate TC with Solidworks libraries, how the properties and attributes work between TC and SW, and how TC handles the "pack-and-go" feature from Solidworks.  I am hoping to for tips from any folks who work directly with the Solidworks and TeamCenter.

Kev

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Kevin

We author the Teamcenter Integration for Solidworks as a devleopment supplier for Siemens. 

We offer a Quickstart service for helping to reduce the learning curve around managing your Solidworks data with Teamcenter.  We have provided this service to many new and existing customers.  We also provide Migration Services to help move the data from your legacy environment to the new and shiny Teamcenter environment.

As you will start to learn, there are a lot of areas to discuss; a combination of business decisions and understanding of corporate directions.  The technical part needs a good context for decisions.  It's easy to get lost in the technical stuff and forget how people are actually going to get the job done.

Good Luck and welcome to the community!

- Peter Heath - PLM Business Development Manager
ITI - Siemens Development and Solution Partner