Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store and Forward

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

HI Everyone,

We have configured the dispatcher settings in server side(Disptacher Server and Client,Store and forward) features and Preference. 

We need information of Store and Forward procudure using Dispatcher translation.

Below are the enlisted questions:

1.How to store data under different volume server on demand.
                 e.g. Primary cad data is in X(Supplier Local Volume) volume server schedule/ondemand has to move data to Y(FMS or NON FMS) volume server.
      2.we thought to provide each supplier user will have local volume, but since supplier count is huge how to manage the local volume at user level??
      3.what will be the network configuration to enble above mention functionality using dispatcher.

Best Regards

Ravikumar

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Store and Forward

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I'm either confused by your questions or perplexed by your situation. 

A local volume is a temporary volume at a remote location (other than at the master site) that is used by all users at the remote location to store saved files locally until S&F or a command line utility moves them to the user's Default Volume (at the master site).

Why would you want to set up a separate local volume for every user?  Seems like a pointless hassle to me.

Also, if you want to separate files into separate volumes by file type, you need to use th move_volume_files command with a custom allocation policy rules file that meets your needs. Or you can use Volume Management app in Rich Client to do something similar.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Larry Carpenter for your Valuable comments,

I need more information:

We have done volume movement from Default local volume to Default volume(Master FMS) using move volume utility. But, siemens Documents recommented for 

Run the store_and_forward translator in the Dispatcher Admin Client as a repeating job????.

Its really needed for store and forward implementation.

Highlighted

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
@Rizu, Yes, you can run Dispatcher to move files from the local volume to the master volume. It creates multiple Dispatcher Tasks for each file move. Soon, your Dispatcher Admin Client will have thousands of tasks that make it almost impossible to manage. However, there is a better way as described by @LarryCarpenter.

The move_volume_files utility has been enhanced and is stable. There is a script in TC_BIN that sources then calls the utility. Using that script as a guide, it is easy to write your own script. On the server that contains your master volume, create a Scheduled Task that calls the script you created and runs it nightly (or every four hours if you want). Using the utility instead of Dispatcher is cleaner, more robust and easier to manage.

There have been several posts on this subject and you'll likely find a great move_volume_files script here somewhere.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I'm with @RandyEllsworth . I don't recommend using Dispatcher.  A nightly recurring batch job is much better.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks For your valuable comments Randy.... 

Best Regards

Ravikumar

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks For your valuable reply  LarryCarpenter...

Best Regards

Ravikumar