Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Structure Manager with Reference-Only Components

Given the function of Reference-Only components I know the structure manager in Teamcenter will not list them as components as it is designed.

Does anyone know if there is a switch somewhere in Structure Manager to also show the Reference-Only components?

I need both the correct structure, but also an option to show the reference-only components when I need them listed in the structure manager.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES

Re: Structure Manager with Reference-Only Components

Perhaps you are referring only to NX, but in Solid Edge, this is easily done.

In the Solid Edge Assembly Occurrence Properties, we simply set the "Assembly Reports" option for a given component/subassembly to "No" for 'reference' parts.  Parts that 'are' included in the actual BOM (not reference) are left as Assembly Reports = Yes.

The equivalent displayable 'column' in Structure Manager is named SE Assembly Reports.

All reference parts will have a value of 0 (zero) whilst all other parts/subassemblies will display a value of 1 (one).

Using a Closure Rule, we can then toggle between the Assembly in Structure Manager showing 'all' parts or 'excluding' the reference parts.  This also works with the Show/Hide Data Panel Grpahics tab when viewing the JT 'assembly'.

Perhaps there is a similar method in NX?

Hope that helps ...

Kevin

[ Edited ]

The structure manager I'm referring to is within Teamcenter.

Is this the same with Solid Edge with using structure manger in Teamcenter?

When the components are saved as reference only within an NX assembly those items aren't included in the Structure manager output within Teamcenter.

I was hoping there was a switch, very similar to how you described using it within Solid Edge, that would allow the display and listing of the reference only components along with everything else within the structure manager out of Teamcenter.

Thanks!

By setting the ref_only in NX you're telling the integration to ignore those components when syncing with Teamcenter. There is no way for Teamcenter to know about them.
It's similar functionality as with using "No Geometry" in structure manager to hide entries from NX. NX knows nothing about the entries.
They're working as designed.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Given the components are reference-only they aren't part of the official BOM but they are still part of the assembly.

Is there any way to create an assembly output listing all the items included in the assembly similar to the structure manager which would include the reference-only items?

You might be able to write a journal file to capture the contents of the parts list and output it to a text file to be uploaded as a dataset in Teamcenter. If the ref parts are not listed in the parts list then it gets really complicated. You can look at the ug_inspect utility to see if you can reach the parts.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

UG GEOMETRY=NO (or Component is Non-Geometric in NX) only hides components in NX, in the ANT, if the "Include Non-Geometric Components" filter is disabled. Parts Lists will include Non-Geometric components (regardless of the ANT filter) as these items are typically paint, or grease. These items will also appear in Structure Manager.

This is different to Reference-Only components which will not display in the SM.

Regards, Ben

I understand. Thank you.

There has to be a way though to output a structure that lists what is in an assembly (all geometry, components, reference, skeletons, etc.), if not a structure manager, something else. Even if the component is "reference" Teamcenter knows that model is in that assembly even if it isn't listed as a part someone would install in real life via a listed BOM. The data is still there I just need it outputted out of Teamcenter in a list similar to Structure manager.

Thanks!

Alternately, you could set "Suppressed=True" for the components in Structure Manager and then use "View-->Show Suppressed Occurrences" to show or hide components.

You can, in NX - in the ANT, "Export to Spreadsheet" or "Export to Browser". If the ANT is set to include non-geometric and Reference-only components, you will get a complete listing of what is in the NX BOM regardless of UGGEOMETRY=NO & Reference Only. The export will take all of the colums from NX and, of course, you can filter the spreadsheet on any column. You can have columns for the part attributes as well. Teamcenter attributes, if exposed to NX, can also be "seen" from NX and exported provided you create a column in your ANT for the new attributes. 

With some Excel work, you can parse the data any way you like.