Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Suppressing parts in subassemblies using Structure Manager

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

A question about how to suppress parts in subassemblies using Structure Manager and its Variant condition / Options tools.

Let's assume that we have the following generic product structure:

TEST ASSEMBLY:

#1 Part 1 [variant condition driven]

#2 Part 2 [variant condition driven]

#3 TEST SUBASSEMBLY

#1 Subpart 1 [variant condition driven]

#2 Subpart 2 [variant condition driven]

This generic structure should be configurable into two different assemblies. The configuration is determined using a parameter in TEST ASSEMBLY (let's say CONFIGURATION = ONE / TWO). This parameter is given by the user, and it supresses the other part in the first component level of the hierarchy. Based on the TEST ASSEMBLY parameter, the TEST SUBASSEMBLY is also configured accordingly. In TEST SUBASSEMBLY, a parameter (let's assume BUILD = FIRST / SECOND) similarly suppresses the redundant part of the product.

Because the user only gives the TEST ASSEMBLY parameter (CONFIGURATION = ONE / TWO), we must link it to the TEST SUBASSEMBLY parameter. This is done using Child module constraints of Structure Manager. For instance, when the user sets CONFIGURATION = ONE in TEST ASSEMBLY, the program automatically sets BUILD = SECOND in TEST SUBASSEMBLY and vice versa.

TEST ASSEMBLY (configuration = ONE)

#1 Part 1

#3 TEST SUBASSEMBLY (build = FIRST)

#1 Subpart 1

TEST ASSEMBLY (configuration = TWO)

#1 Part 2

#3 TEST SUBASSEMBLY (build = SECOND)

#1 Subpart 2

The problem is that although the first component level part is correctly suppressed based on the user parameter, the subassembly remains the same, showing both components regardless of the user parameter. Please see the attached picture for more clearer representation.

I wonder what I have messed up, or where the problem lies. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

6 REPLIES

Re: Suppressing parts in subassemblies using Structure Manager

The Variant Rule doesn't have any defintion to Filter out the "Build". This will result in showing all the values.

I also see the Options are defined in context from two different items:3AFP9147379 & 3AFP9147380

In this case, i would define both options (Configurations & Build) on the top level and have the Variant Condition on Sub Part to include the Configuration defintion.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author TC_user_123
2 weeks ago

Hi @TC_user_123,

It worked for me in Tc11.3.  Here are screenshots of my setup to mimic yours.  CONFIGURATION was defined at the TEST ASSEMBLY level and BUILD was defined at the TEST SUBASSEMBLY level:

Screenshot - 8_2_2017 , 12_29_35 PM.pngScreenshot - 8_2_2017 , 12_30_49 PM.png

Here are the child definitions:

Screenshot - 8_2_2017 , 12_30_03 PM.pngScreenshot - 8_2_2017 , 12_30_26 PM.png

And here are the variant conditions:

Screenshot - 8_2_2017 , 12_37_59 PM.png

And having applied the saved variant rule:

Screenshot - 8_2_2017 , 12_40_13 PM.png

Regards, Ben

What is the meaning of those circled "V" after the revision icon?

It means that they have a variant condition applied to them within this structure.

Regards, Ben

Thanks for the detailed reply. I wonder why my earlier test item did not correctly configure its sub assembly.

Does it make a difference in the variant creation stage wther you use "NEW" or "Auto-VI" button. We used the former one, and it resulted in a new variant where the subassembly part was not supressed.

This page should help: Create variant items automatically

Choosing New will raise prompts for each step that you don't see using Auto-VI...

Regards, Ben