Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Teamcenter versus all bespoke files

Hello,

would you please tell me if it's worth to buy TC where 95% parts are bespoke - different on every project ?

How to manage them efficiently? Maybe there is a better option ?

So far we are using operating system search engine to locate all parts on the server which is sometimes difficult and time consuming.

thank you,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP8
4 REPLIES

Re: Teamcenter versus all bespoke files

[ Edited ]

If only 5% of the files of one project are reused then I guess you make very few revisions of your parts. Reusing so few parts and not making intensive use of revisions I wouldt use TC for storing my files. Maybe if you want to use some other funcionallity as workflows, associated info (fem files, datasheet files...) to an item, user permissions, reports, customized queries... In our case we had a lot of parts that we reused from one project to other, some of them were improved/revised and as we had no way to know in which project was each part used when we reuse assemblies from old projects we some times reused obsoleted parts, know with TC we have the tool to control that and quickly replace old revisions for new revisions. I explain this just in case TC can be helpful to you in this way. 

Hi @Javiduc

thinking 'bespoke' I meant 'unique' - so 95% bespoke/unique files are creatting for every project. Only 5% is been reusing from the old projects.

regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP8
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author arekkul
2 weeks ago

If 95% of your parts are new every project, I would highly suggest using Teamcenter instead of OS file management. The simple fact that you can manage revisions, use release workflows and search on attributes would be worth it. Even if you have very small assemblies it gives you a lot of functionality to protect your data in the event of accidents (multiple versions of datasets that you could roll back to in the event that someone saves an object and then wants to revert back to previous versions), specific rights allocation for your business cases, etc.

There is obviously administrative overhead, but it is scalable. If you are a small site the most work will be in figuring out what you want after using it for a bit during a pilot, then actually installing and configuring doesn't take much time at all.

[ Edited ]

Sorry, where I wrote 95 y meant 5. I have corrected it.