Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating after a workmate check in a part creates an error

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If I have open in TC an item, then I see that the revision I want to edit is checked out by a workmate (NX CAD edition), and I ask him to make check in, then I press F5 with the revision selected to check that is cheked out, sometimes the elements inside the revision dissappear and I need to close TC and reopen it to see them again. Is that behaviour normal? Is there a way to avoid that? Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES

Re: Updating after a workmate check in a part creates an error

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
That sounds like a refresh issue w/java. You may need to increase your java VM settings or reduce the number of "other" applications you have running ... Outlook, Word, 5x Excel, etc. We see similar behavior when opening and closing a number of workflows during the day as the memory doesn't get released. We have to train users to log out during lunch or increase the java VM footprint.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you Randy! How can I increase our Java VM settings? The only parameter I can "increase" is reserved disk space for temp files but it is already at the maximum

Solution Partner Phenom
The method depends on the type of client installed and which file gets called when launching Teamcenter. It may be Teamcenter.ini, portal.bat or otwportal.bat. You're looking for the "start Teamcenter.exe ..." command. We're going to adjust the "-vmargs".

By default, older "-Xmx" is 512m while newer versions have default 1024m. This is okay if you have 4GB of system memory. Most computers have more than 4GB RAM these days, heck, Win10 requires 3GB all by itself. So if you have 8GB RAM or more then try this ... increase "-Xmx" to 2048m.

There are a few more settings you may want to add while you're in there. Here's the recommendation from Siemens from there "Optimizing Teamcenter Client Performance, Windows - Centric" V2.0 Guide:
-vm
"%JRE_HOME%\bin\javaw.exe"
-vmargs
-Xms2048m
-Xmx2048m
-XXSmiley TongueermSize=64m
-XX:MaxPermSize=128m
-XX:+UseParallelGC
-XXSmiley FrustratedurvivorRatio=6
-XX:+DisableExplicitGC
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInternal=3600000
Then the rest of the normal args
-Xbootclasspath/a:...

Solution Partner Phenom

And the community site converted some of the settings to emoticons again ... okay ... here's a picture.

StartupClient.png

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you Randy, I think I will try this, thanks again.

Just one more thing, if "set_VM_XMS=2048m" sets the memory for Java, what is the meaning of the rest of modified parameters?

-vmargs -Xmx2048m

-xmx2048m

-Xverify:none

-XX:survivorRatio=6
-XX:+UseParallelGC

-XX:+DisableExplicitGC

Solution Partner Phenom

-Xmx is Max, -Xms is Min, while the rest have to do with how Java cleans up memory (garbage collection).

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13150_01/jrockit_jvm/jrockit/jrdocs/refman/optionX.html