Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using Global Alternates

Hey everyone,

I figured out how to assign a Global Alternate to a component in my assembly... now what?  How do I use this new information?  I can't seem to find a way to get that alternate component into the assembly, and Google searching only gets me so far.  To the forums I go!

Thanks!

MM

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Using Global Alternates

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Good afternoon, you can read about managing global alternates
in Structure Manager Guide -> Managing global alternates

Briefly: In the structure manager there are two buttons that are responsible for alternatives, one of them for the globally

Alternates.png

Hey Arthur3,

Thanks for the reply!  I used that button to assign the Global Alternate.  What can I do with the Global Alternate after I have assigned it?  What purpose does it serve?  As far as I can tell, the only way to view the Alternate is by pressing that button again.  How does the Alternate affect the use of the BOM?

Thanks!

MM

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi MM,

Did you every find your answer?

I have the same question you had.

I've created Global Alternate .. now how to configure it into the BOM or not?

George

Now Consider an example of wheel assembly for a CAR.

Customer is using MRF tyres but he always can provide substitute as CEAT tyre for it. so in case of un-availability of MRF Tyre we can always use CEAT Tyres.

There are two different options provided depending upon whether you want to provide the alternate globally (Global Alternates)or position specific for that part(Local Substitute).