Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to have model templates working IN and OUT teamcenter

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi we are migrating with teamcenter... but we would still want to have our templates to work when we launch nx outside teamcenter.. Right now when I am trying to start a new model (using our model template) it says... file not found. Is there a way to get template working within teamcenter and also outside teamcenter when using NX11

8 REPLIES

Re: how to have model templates working IN and OUT teamcenter

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Investigate the NX Custom folder structure to solve your problem. For NX 11 you'll need to download and install NX110custom. Search for it on this Community site. It supports both NX Managed (Teamcenter) and NX Native in the same shared folder structure. Unpack it on the server somewhere then share the folder "Read" for everyone. On the client, map a drive to the \\server\share. In start_nxmanager.bat specify the mapped drive and location to the shared folder. Users will need write access to two folders in the structure: one for writing their preferences for managed and the second for writing their preferences for native. The readme's in the structure are very helpful and there are a couple of youtube videos about it too.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Pdemartin,

It's odd that NX is reporting "File not found".  NX checks to see if the template part file listed in the corresponding pax file exists in the template directory, and if it can't find it then it won't list that template on the File New dialog.

Both native and managed NX use the path defined in the variable UGII_TEMPLATE_DIR to read the pax files (unless your managing your pax files in the database).  Managed NX pax files have the prefix "nxdm_" and native pax files have the prefix "ugs_".  OOTB, UGII_TEMPLATE_DIR is set to %UGII_BASE_DIR%\UGII\templates.

Managed NX reads the part files from the database and native NX uses the path defined in UGII_TEMPLATE_DIR.  Therefore, if you've modified your template part files that you use in managed NX, export them out of the database and place a copy in the folder defined by UGII_TEMPLATE_DIR.  If you also edited the names of the part files, open the corresponding "ugs_" pax file in a text editor (e.g., ugs_model_templates.pax) and enter the name of the part file between the <filename> tags.  For example: 

<PaletteEntry id="d1">
    <References/>
    <Presentation name="Model" description="NX Example with datum CSYS">
        <PreviewImage type="UGPart" location="model_template.jpg"/>
    </Presentation>
    <ObjectData class="ModelTemplate">
        <Filename>model-plain-1-inch-template.prt</Filename>
	<Units>English</Units>
    </ObjectData>
  </PaletteEntry>

Note that if you export your template part files from Teamcenter, to use in native NX, that they will be appended "_<rev>", (e.g., model-plain-1-inch-template_A.prt) so you will have to edit your pax files to accomodate the revision.

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

thanks for you answer... I have looked at all the files and it seems to be fine.. see what I  have when I click for a new model.. I  have to mention that a new assembly would wotk but model wont.. see pictures...I have this weird name.....2xxxxxxx1.prt. ???

Solution Partner Phenom
Review the NX syslog to see which templates were loaded and possible errors for why other templates were not loaded. It's all in the log.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
I have this weird name.....2xxxxxxx1.prt. ???

That almost seems like you have some form of customization in place that is replacing the OOTB "model<n>.prt" with "2xxxxxxx1.prt".  If you enter in a string, such as 211111111.prt, are you able to create a part?  Do you still get the "File not found" message (or does that happen elsewhere)?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have tried with adding numbers ... not working.. I know now that we have TC our ugii env file is custumized... .maybe this is creating the problem

Solution Partner Phenom
A common problem at most companies is that they customize files directly in the NX install location (e.g. ugii_env_ug.dat). They have to do this on every workstation where NX is installed to try and keep the modifications in sync across the company. Better is to make those modifications to files on a network share and then point NX to the share location so that everyone sees the same thing. Best is to have modifications separated for working in NX Managed and NX Native as they have differing requirements based on where things are stored and how they are named. The NX Custom folder structure is designed with this in mind and is freely available on the Community site. You might want to search for it and introduce it to your company as it solves many issues. For NX 11 search for NX110custom.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor