Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to view 3D assembly in teamcenter

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, everyone, 

I am a starter on teamcenter 10. So I made an assembly of that cylinder engine. I give each of the item a dataset storing the .jt 3D model. When I finished the assembly and sent to lifecycle viewer, the parts are just everywhere and can form a engine....

I think I have to set constraints on them so that they will appear to be an engine.

Few questions:

1. How am i able to see the actual assembly, not just like 40 parts everywhere on the screen?

2. My teamcenter is not integrated with any CAD tools. Can I use stand-alone Pro/E or solid works to edit these .jt file format parts to their rght place. And then when I open teamcenter viewer, these parts will be where they are supposed to be?

The attachment is what I have now....

Thanks for the reply!

Will 

23 REPLIES

Re: how to view 3D assembly in teamcenter

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

Try deleting the JT files stored in assembly level. Then try again. It should work.

I have faced a similar problem and I have resolved it by above.

BTW, it works only if you have assembled to form the actual assy of an engine!!!

S A Saravanakumar
CBE, INDIA

Pioneer
Pioneer

Save a monlithic JT of the assembly and import it into the assembly item revision directmodel dataset. Use a relation of specification for the directmodel dataset. View it with My Teamcenter Viewer. BTW: This is the only way to view accurate assembly data if assembly level features are commonly used throughout the mulit level assembly structure...and resaving or revising all the way up through the assembly structure is not commonly done when a lower level component part is revised for geometric change. Unless the lower level change is propagated up through the structure, the Structure Manager and LCV visualization will be incorrect.

JT dataset can be created with integreated CAD software which can be saved under item revision (Component level) in Teamcenter. Dispatcher can also create JT in Teamcenter directly. However for assembly parts JT creation can be achieved through preference settings.

It is needed that parts in assembly should be properly constrained to have proper JT preview. In My Teamcenter assembly preview can be seen by selecting either item or item revision then selecting the viewer tab.

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 10 | NX 11 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Pioneer
Pioneer

Are you saying that there is a preference in TC 10/11 that enables the 3D viewing of an assembly in My Teamcenter?   If so, can you let me know what it is?   

It is possible to create JT for assembly level which is called as Monolithic JT. Some useful information can be found in the mentioned links.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/Generate-JT-on-NX-as...

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/Saving-JT-files-for-...

ftp://41.223.25.6/Public/Sandvik/Teamcenter%208.3%20Full%20Installation/Teamcenter%208.3%20Full%20In...

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 10 | NX 11 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Pioneer
Pioneer

So it looks like there is no preference using NX or SE integration to automagically have a monolithic JT created as a DirectMoel dataset under the target assembly item revision.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
The polylithic method used in Teamcenter is the optimal and proper way to make use of JT structures. Why would you want to have tons of duplicated data at every level in a product structure from having monolithic Direct Model datasets at every assembly level? Each time you do that, your 3D becomes more and more top heavy with redundant data that is already displayed at a lower level.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

You should be able to change the position of each part individually by selecting a part in the BOM and editing its 'Absolute transformation Matrix' and 'Relative Transformation Matrix' properties.

Pioneer
Pioneer

When dealing with assemblies that have assemly level features that remove material, a change to a component part that is subsequently machined must be propagated up through the entire assembly structure in order for the assembly Vis data to be correct.  Having to resave the entire WIP structure is bad enough, but the real issue is what to do when the assemblies are Released.  A monolithic assembly JT created, uploaded, and updated from the CAD tool would be correct.