Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how to view 3D assembly in teamcenter

Experimenter
Experimenter

Larry - In every Google search I have done related to "NX JT Teamcenter Assembly" your name has popped up in these forums.  Additionally you look to be pretty active here so I figure this is my best bet.  Okay - enough preface.  

I completely agree with all of your comments about utilizing Teamcenter structure to avoid storing duplicate data by way of individual part JTs and monolithics for assemblies.  Within TC it is very easy to visualize the JT assembly using the 2 methods outlined (over and over again).   My particular scenario may have a slightly different twist.  I am trying to work in a multi-CAD environment where I have NX top levels that consume both NX data and Solidworks generated JT data.

I am able to utilize SWIM to create the appropriate JT files for an assembly and components, which then are saved into the ItemRevisions as DirectModel datasets.  With TC, the assembly can be visualized using structure manager or LCV.  I can insert the component JT files into my NX top level, but if I try to assemble the JT assembly into my NX top level (or even open it) it is blank with no structure.

My NX experience is all of about 2 weeks, but I have 5 years TC and 10 years Solidworks experience.  My question - is it possible to load a structure of JT into NX from the TC integration?  So far I have been very unsuccessful.  Any comments/direction are much appreciated.

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
See StructureOption=MULTICAD
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.1/nx_help/#uid:configuration_opts_setup_options

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Randy - I did just review and try that.  Funny that the "multicad" argument was not listed in our SWIM configuration documentation.  I noticed that setting is from the "NX" settings... I assume this would work for SWIM also.  The result of this was similar to using "per_part", where a subfolder was created and the JTs output there but they are not imported into TC during the SWIM save operation.  The only way I can get all JTs to output and load to TC via SWIM is setting the 'structureOption' to 'full_shatter'.  The component JTs are fine but the assembly JT is loaded to TC as a DirectModel dataset.  If you view the BVR or SM--> Data Panel--> Graphics it looks fine.  However the direct model itself only has structure.  When the ItemRev is loaded to NX no structure is present and it does not contain any graphics.  

Am I off base somewhere?

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @AaronLarson,

Does your SW assembly JT have a BVR associated with it?  If you open the assembly JT in NXManager do you get a popup reporting something similar to the following:

Important information during successful load
001446/A;1 The load was successful. However, there are some points you should note regarding potential problems encountered
during this process. Please read the following list carefully:

Extra components added in Teamcenter
The structure of the following part has been modified in Teamcenter:

001446/A;1

There are new components to be positioned.
In order to position these new components, set the work part to this part.
Use the Assemblies -> Components -> Manage Pending Components command.

From my understanding, while structureOption=MULTICAD does create JT's for assembly nodes, the JT files themselves do not contain structure - this is defined by the BVR.  So if your SW assembly item revision has a BVR, NX should be able to read the structure in that BVR and, using Manage Pending Components, allow you to display the components "in position" in NX.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

That would be phenomenal!  Yes, my Solidworks Item of the Assembly has a BVR and a DirectModel dataset.  I don't recall getting any such error in NX when trying to open the assembly.  

Take a look at your 'Teamcenter Integration for NX' Customer Defaults (File > Utilities > Customer Defaults).  Do you have 'Structure Update on Load' set to 'None'?

Screenshot - 5_4_2017 , 10_50_43 AM.png

If you do, change it to 'Complete' or 'Add Components that have a Position' restart NXManager and try opening the JT assembly again.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hallelujah!  It worked!  Thanks a ton!  Also, I tested this with just using the 'full_shatter' structureOption in SWIM and it worked too.  Full Shatter seems to work better because it doesn't place the subcomps in a subdirectory which doesn't get loaded to TC upon the SWIM save to TC command.  Full shatter places all JTs in the working directory so they get picked up.  One last question if you or anyone else is feeling generous.  When I open the "jt assembly" it shows the structure but I have to go through and "click" each component to load it into memory (or show it... not sure).  I looked for a setting to do this for me on open but couldn't find it.  Any pointers?  (attachment shows tree upon initial load)

Take a look at your Assembly Load Options. You probably have 'Load' in the Scope section set to 'Structure Only'. Change this to 'All Components'.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter
That was it. Your posts made my day. Thank you sir!

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Give Ben "Kudos" and "Accept" one of the posts as a solution. It helps others on the forum find answers. :)

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4