Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tailor the generic classification capability in Teamcenter to my specific part-families

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Procedure question:

How do I tailor the generic classification capability in Teamcenter to my specific part-family business processes?

I have a customer from the past that has a procedure question, I am not a classification guy and have a question for part families and classification in TeamCenter…

Setup:

Customer has very complex part-families in Native, they can be nested 3 to 7 deep… (not recommended) but it is what it is

They also have spreadsheets for the part-families that can be of 5 sheets , the main sheet that Nx uses but they have other sheets that drive this main sheet for arrangements due to not using TeamCenter

It was the way the company choose to mimic ‘data management’ as crewed as it may be…

Now they are using TeamCenter functionality hence Classification …

• What would the proper process be to migrate the part families from Native into TeamCenter

Do you just bulk dump the Nx part files into TeamCenter and regenerate using spreadsheet ?

• What is the process to us classification for the part families ?
  • Is there documentation for classification and Nx part-family migration?

Thanks

Barry

Barry Waldie
1 REPLY

Re: tailor the generic classification capability in Teamcenter to my specific part-families

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
I can answer a couple of your questions but not all of them...
- Part Families cannot have multiple generations. They must be single level (nesting not allowed).
- You would migrate the "parent" and then regenerate the children in Teamcenter.
- Arrangements are handled differently in Tc (special relationship) so their spreadsheet process probably won't work.

Do not bulk import until the existing FOP (family of parts) have been cleaned up. You can get into trouble very quickly. What can take hours to import can take weeks or months to delete so be careful and deliberate.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4