Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Detailed Work Instructions to CAM Operations

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Work Instructions for CAM

Overview

This enhancement allows the NC programmer to add detailed work instructions to CAM operations and publish them in HTML and or PDF format. Template-based documentation is associative to the operations, and updates easily when things change. 

image.gif

Created with NX CAM 10.0.3

Details

In a typical workflow includes creating a Documentation operation where you create job process sheets with information such as setup instructions, a tool list, and an operation list for the overall program. You place the Documentation operation at the beginning of the program. You then use the Work Instructions command to create and attach job process sheets to individual CAM operations. NX updates all associative data in your job process sheets.

When your workflow is complete, you can publish the job process sheets as PDF or HTML files. When you select a program to publish the work instructions, NX adds all of the process sheets, in their program order, and links them to the table of contents. You can select a single operation to publish only the process sheets required by that operation.

Video

(view in My Videos)

(If you have problems with the embedded player, you can download the attached .mp4 file.)

Do you have a question about this topic?

Post your questions or comments at the bottom of this Tech Tip. (You must be signed in to access this feature.)

About the Author

Holder.jpg Bill Storrs is in the CAM Product Management Group at Siemens PLM software, Cypress California. His main focus is on CAM usability and learning support. He currently leads the CAM Learning Initiative Team whose mission is to provide users with a comprehensive collection of reference and training materials. He has an M.A. in Corporate Training and Development and has been in the industry for over 20 years.

Comments
Solution Partner Visionary Solution Partner Visionary
Solution Partner Visionary

Where I can find this enhancement

my NX version is 10.0.3.5

VIP
VIP

In NX 10.0.3 the template is hidden out ot the box. You can either browse for the subtype and find the work_instruction part with the other templates, or add it to your template set file (e.g. cam_general.opt) 

Creator
Creator

Hi Bill, I've made some customizations to template files and I can get pdf file without any problem. now I would like to use my custom UDE mom variables on the work instructions, as shown on the attached picture, I want to get the part name, op.no etc. from this UDE; is there a way to use these custom mom variables on the work instructions?

antet.JPG

Contributors
LIVE Tech Tip Webinars
Watch NX experts demonstrate manufacturing best practices. Stay online for Q&A.