Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drill Deep Holes

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Deep Hole Drilling

Overview

Deep Hole Drilling is a new operation subtype designed to meet the special requirements of drilling deep holes such as engaging into pilot holes at a specified feed rate.

for Public Community article.gif

Created with NX CAM 10.0.2

Details

Additional Cycle Parameters allow you to control spindle behavior when engaging into the pilot hole and retracting from the deep hole as well as to control coolant when engaging, cutting, and retracting.

To use this self-demo, save the attached part files locally and follow the instructions in the pdf document, or see the video below.

Video:

(view in My Videos)

(If you have trouble with the embedded player, you can download the attached .mp4 file)

Do you have a question?

Post your questions or comments at the bottom of this Tech Tip. (You must be signed in to access this feature.)

About the Author

Holder.jpg Bill Storrs is in the CAM Product Management Group at Siemens PLM software, Cypress California. His main focus is on CAM usability and learning support. He currently leads the CAM Learning Initiative Team whose mission is to provide users with a comprehensive collection of reference and training materials. He has an M.A. in Corporate Training and Development and has been in the industry for over 20 years.

Comments
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello! I just tested this operation-type in NX10.0.2.6 MP3. I really have the operationtyp but I have no cutting-parameters in the Feature-geometry-window. What do I wrong?

My holemaking_template is from 10th July 2015.

Werner

Genius
Genius

Hello Werner,

I hope I understand you correctly.

There are the new Feature Geometry parameters and there are the new parameters within the cycles. In order to find the latter ones you have to enable Motion Output = Single Moves. These parameters are not possible with cycles.

Joachim

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Joachim,

I wrote that I don't have the new Feature-Geometry-Parameters:

2015-10-31 06_34_51-NX 10 - Manufacturing - [deep_hole_drilling.prt (Modified) ].png

In the video there I see Cutting Parameters with Control Point, Bottom Stock, Position Tool Shoulder and Intersection Strategy. In my version I miss them.

Werner

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor
Hello Werner

When you open the geometry dialog try to reset the dialog by clicking the reset button in the top right corner.

Regards
Lars
-----------------
Siemens Industry Software A/S, Borupvang 9, 2750 Ballerup, CVR-no. 31257077
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Lars!

Great. This was it. Smiley Happy

Thank you and best regards

Werner

Hi Werner

If you do it in the template, you only have to do it once :-)

Regards
Lars

Sent from my iPhone
-----------------
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hallo!

Next problem: I don't get the "Engage Condition" in my CLDATA.

The COOLNT and SPINDLE which I programm aren't in the CLDATA.

When I look at the debugger in the PP I get the Cutting Condition for Engage. This is not what I want.

2015-11-02 08_04_44-Cycle Parameters.png

2015-11-02 08_05_19-Information.png

What's wrong?

Werner

Hi Werner,

Check if this works for you.

You don't have an engage move, as a consequence you will not have "engage" conditions.

To enforce an engage move (in absence of a pilot hole) do set Rapto Offset to a user defined Distance. This will result in generation of an engage and associated engage conditions.
[cid:image002.png@01D0FC60.58186C80][cid:image003.jpg@01D0FC60.58186C80]

Better off course to have the pilot created by a preceding operation and use the automatically calculated rapto offset
[cid:image005.jpg@01D0FC60.58186C80][cid:image006.png@01D0FC60.58186C80][cid:image007.jpg@01D0FC60.58186C80][cid:image008.png@01D0FC60.58186C80]

Best Regards / Venlig Hilsen

Lars Okkels
Mfg Engineering

Siemens Industry Sector
Siemens Industry Software A/S
Borupvang 9
2750 Ballerup, Denmark
Mobile: +45 3038 6619
lars.okkels@siemens.com
www.siemens.com/plm<>
www.siemens.com/plm/community/nx/manufacturing<>

-----------------
Contributors
LIVE Tech Tip Webinars
Watch NX experts demonstrate manufacturing best practices. Stay online for Q&A.