Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drilling to different diameters with stepped drills

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Positioning Stepped Drills to a Specified Shoulder Tracking Point

Overview

You can now specify a tracking point on the shoulder of a stepped drill as the Tool Drive Point and specify a machining area from the feature to determine the drilling depth. This allows you to drill holes that are modeled slightly undersize with a larger tool.

image.gif

Created with NX CAM 10.0.3

Details

Because this is an explicit action that drives a specified tracking point to a particular depth, the tool is allowed to cut the diameter of machining feature even when the diameter of the tool shoulder is slightly larger than the diameter of the hole. This behavior is desirable when holes are modeled slightly undersize or you wish to drill slightly deeper than the modeled depth.

Video

(view in My Videos)

(If you have problems with the embedded player, you can download the attached .mp4 file.)

Self-Demo

Save the attached part file locally and follow the instructions in the .pdf document.

Do you have a question about this topic?

Post your questions or comments at the bottom of this Tech Tip. (You must be signed in to access this feature.)

About the Author

Holder.jpg Bill Storrs is in the CAM Product Management Group at Siemens PLM software, Cypress California. His main focus is on CAM usability and learning support. He currently leads the CAM Learning Initiative Team whose mission is to provide users with a comprehensive collection of reference and training materials. He has an M.A. in Corporate Training and Development and has been in the industry for over 20 years.

Comments
Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello I have a problem with my step drill I can't change the flute lenght. What did I wrong?

Thank you

VIP
VIP

It's missing from the dialog, and will be fixed. 

For now, you can add it yourself - select the tool, right mouse, object, customize.

Select Corner Radius in the lower list, Flute length in the upper list, and then Add to Dialog. 

To fix it for all new tools, open the hole_making template part, and customize the STEP_DRILL.

Contributors
LIVE Tech Tip Webinars
Watch NX experts demonstrate manufacturing best practices. Stay online for Q&A.