Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easily finish cylindrical faces

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Overview

This enhancement allows you to easily finish cylindrical faces. It introduces a new operation type (mill_rotary), a new operation subtype (Rotary Floor), a new drive method (Rotary Floor Finish), and a new geometry object (ROTARY_GEOM). This new operation type is based on the current Variable Contour operation with Surface Area Drive Method.

Floor Finishing for Cylindrical Parts.gif

Created with NX CAM 9

Details

Learn how to use the new 4-axis rotary milling operation.

To use this self-demo, save the attached part files locally and follow the instructions in the pdf document.

Do you have a question?

Post your questions or comments at the bottom of this Tech Tip. (You must be signed in to access this feature.)

About the Author

Holder.jpg Bill Storrs is in the CAM Product Management Group at Siemens PLM software, Cypress California. His main focus is on CAM usability and learning support. He currently leads the CAM Learning Initiative Team whose mission is to provide users with a comprehensive collection of reference and training materials. He has an M.A. in Corporate Training and Development and has been in the industry for over 20 years.

Comments
Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

that is so great...

Legend
Legend

Can I use it for Rotary Milling ? i.e. Turning using Milling cutter on 4 axis milling machine, with rotary table ? I want to use Flat or Bull end mill or may be face mill cutter.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I need to change the start location of the curve. NX 8.5 Windows 7.

PLM World Member Visionary PLM World Member Visionary
PLM World Member Visionary

I could not unzip the parts file. That is, if it's a zip file ?

Experimenter
Experimenter

does it allow offseting the tool to cut off center?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the info. I found this quite interesting but I was curious about the "touch points" that you are able to display. What drives the distribution? I noticed if i try to implement this operationon the outside of a cyclinder, there are touch points every 4.5 degrees of rotation. The result is posted code which has many more moves than necessary to achieve the requisit geometry. 90 degree increments seems like it would more than suffice, while in the application I am researching, the machine will react correctly if I input 360 degree increments manually. 

To summarize: Any direct control of touch points?

If not, indirect, specifically with the intention of minimizing them?

Thanks for the helpful information!

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Great to learn that this operation gets attention. It was the first step to better address the machining of Rotary parts. based on the feedback we'll gain it will be decided to persue addressing this familiy of parts and in which order.

let me answer some of the questions:

Can I use it for Rotary Milling ? i.e. Turning using Milling cutter on 4 axis milling machine, with rotary table ?

==> it is a regular milling operation. so I don't think that the turning controller would work with a milling post..  

I want to use Flat or Bull end mill or may be face mill cutter

==> Current implementation works only with a ball tool. non ball was on the roadmap, but on hold for now. The Curve drive supports now lateral offset (so you can select an existing edge and set a distance to cut around a different section. you can also shift the contact with the part to cut off the center of the tool.

I need to change the start location of the curve.

==> not sure I understand the question..

does it allow offseting the tool to cut off center

==> You can do that by setting the lead angle to a value >0. for a ball tool it should work OK for non ball we need a clear shift as supported for curve drive.

Any direct control of touch points? If not, indirect, specifically with the intention of minimizing them?

==>  our tool path does not support today arcs in 4 axes. I can explain what drives the points distribution, but you cannot get arcs of up to 90 deg / 360deg. if you really like to get the trdious explanation - please let me know.

Thanks for the questions. more feedback is welcome.

Eddy

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Eddy_Finaro,

1. What about supporting multiple faces, currently there is only one single face supported?
  2. How about using this for roughing, multiple offsets?

Thanks for this enhancement.

---

Stefan

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Stefan,

Unfortunately both are not suppoted at this stage.

for the multiple faces requirement, if the floors are pieces of the same cylindrical body, you may be able to extend one of them to cover both. we limitted tose since if the faces selected do not belong to the same cylinder, the machining wold be wrong.

about multi-levels - do you find it useful / important to do it with a ball tool?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eddy,

thanks for the information about the floor, but there are cases where extending the floor will not work due to islands and such. It would also be beneficial to add the surrounding blend faces to the floor, to be able to use a smaller tool to finish the attached radius in one go with the floor.

Initially supporting ball mills for multiple levels would be sufficient, but finally a wider range of tools should be supported, like end mills and bull nose mills.

Thanks for your work.

Stefan

LIVE Tech Tip Webinars
Watch NX experts demonstrate manufacturing best practices. Stay online for Q&A.