cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learn to use Journal Files in NX CAM

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Overview

NX software includes advanced capabilities for journaling, or creating intelligent macros. Creating & using powerful journals is easier than you think – and once you know how to do it you’ll wonder how you ever lived without these custom productivity aids.

(view in My Videos)

Created with NX 9.0

Details

Learn how to get started with Journal files, by taking small steps:

• Record a simple journal
  • Edit that journal to increase its capability
  • Use provided example journals to cut and paste even more capabilities

Journals have been around for a long while, but we never seem to talk about them – we’ll try to fix that with this Tech Tip! 

Any NX user can benefit from learning how to use these little productivity boosters

Do you have a question?

Click 'Add a Comment' below to ask it. (You must be signed in to access this feature.)

About the Presenter

Mark Rief

Mark Rief is well-known to many users from his long tenure as a product manager on the CAM team, and he is currently focused on strategic customer care. Mark is a recognized expert in the various methods of customizing the NX CAM software.

Derek Hart
... if we're not having fun, we're not doing it right!
Comments
Solution Partner Theorist Solution Partner Theorist
Solution Partner Theorist

Dear Sir:

Can I get the PPT file; Thanks a lot.

Zheng Hd

zhenghd@ucitc.com

Theorist
Theorist

Please forgive my ignorance here guys, I have used UG NX cam for only about a year now. However I have been a cnc programmer for over 18 years using various other cam programming products.

I currently use only a few types of tool paths in UG NX9 cam on a daily basis and I find myself asking if what I am doing daily can be automated to the next level. I have used API and Macros inside other CNC software with great success but I am finding little information on how to achieve what I want to do inside UG NX9 because no Journal or Macro samples are installed on my system and searching for reference material and help files on the internet for this topic is pretty much useless.

My Question to you is this.

Is it possible to create a Journal or API within NX cam with a GUI Interface that allows me the advantage of selecting multiple operations of the same type like for example a " profile " , "area profile" , “ zlevel”, operation that will allow me the programmer the power to modify the following items such as Stock, step over, and boundary settings for every single one of the tool paths selected from the operations tree.

Currently for me Individually selecting 50 operations and editing the step over, stock and boundary settings for each operation one at a time is an absolutely huge time killer prior to tool path regeneration. And I usually have 50 to 100 operations of the same type that I frequently convert from roughing to finishing and this is very normal to have them on every job here. If there is a better way then what I am doing then I have not found it yet and asking you if there is.

If there is no solution or faster way to achieve what I pain staking doing all the time, Please advise and pass along any suggestions, links, videos, etc or persons of contact that has expertise in this area willing to share his knowledge with me.

Thank you for your time.

VIP
VIP

Chris,

Glad to see your interest in automating your common tasks in NX CAM. Let me try to respond to each piece:

I currently use only a few types of tool paths in UG NX9 cam on a daily basis and I find myself asking if what I am doing daily can be automated to the next level. I have used API and Macros inside other CNC software with great success but I am finding little information on how to achieve what I want to do inside UG NX9 because no Journal or Macro samples are installed on my system and searching for reference material and help files on the internet for this topic is pretty much useless.

Please see the pdf file for this tech tip video. Near the end, it shows where the CAM journal samples are installed on your system. There are also directions to the knowledge base, where you can search for samples.

Is it possible to create a Journal or API within NX cam with a GUI Interface that allows me the advantage of selecting multiple operations of the same type like for example a " profile " , "area profile" , “ zlevel”, operation that will allow me the programmer the power to modify the following items such as Stock, step over, and boundary settings for every single one of the tool paths selected from the operations tree.

The first thing is to be sure you take advantage of inheritance - the ability of operations to get parameters from their parent groups in the Operation Navigator. 

If you are modifying stock, tolerance, and feeds, then set these in the method, and move or copy the operations from one method to the other. OOTB you can see this by creating an operation in MILL_ROUGH, and then dragging it to MILL_FINISH.

The same goes for boundaries - you can select the boundaries once in a geometry group, and then all operations under it will inherit the boundaries.

If you want to use a journal to edit the operations, start with one of the samples that ends in *OntSelection.vb, which operate on whatever you have selected in the Operation Navigator.

I would start with a journal to set specific parameters in operations of the same type, and get that working the way you like. Then if you want to handle selecting multiple operation types, you can add some vb to branch based on the operation type - you will find that in the samples.

The next step would be to add some UI to prompt for the parameters you want to change.

To continue this discussion, you will get a lot more participation if you start a thread in the Discussion Forum.   Hope to see you there!

VIP
VIP

The original presentation mentions the GTAC Support forums (formerly the BBS).

This is obsolete, since these forums were replaced by this community.

The place to discuss languages is now NX Programming and Customization

The old BBS forums shown in the presentation were migrated and are available read-only, and will be included if you search.

Contributors
LIVE Tech Tip Webinars
Watch NX experts demonstrate manufacturing best practices. Stay online for Q&A.